Mini Projectors: Powering Up & Finding the Right Supply

• Thread starter Kasim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supply
In summary: Before getting any projector, I recommend finding one in a store and trying it out there. I made the mistake of buying an inexpensive projector over the Internet for use in some trainings with 4-6 people (so it didn't have to be a big super-bright one). But the dang fan was way loud, too loud to use in a training where you are trying to talk over the fan. I ended up having to make a sound-quieting enclosure that still allowed good airflow for it. Lesson learned!
Kasim
Hi

Im just wondering how mini projectors are powered up.. Is it a dc to ac ? Or just Ac?

Also I am trying to look into a very small power supply but can't find anything as small as I want.. The smallest I've found is 13 x 5.6 x 9.7

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kasim said:
Hi

Im just wondering how mini projectors are powered up.. Is it a dc to ac ? Or just Ac?

Also I am trying to look into a very small power supply but can't find anything as small as I want.. The smallest I've found is 13 x 5.6 x 9.7

Can you be more specific? What projector? Can you provide a link to a datasheet or something?

Im being very general. I am trying to find out what components are being used and what the power source is like.. There are many projectors but I want to just know the basic

Kasim said:
Im being very general. I am trying to find out what components are being used and what the power source is like.. There are many projectors but I want to just know the basic

Being that general makes the question meaningless, IMO. "Projectors" range from giant movie house projectors (which are obviously AC Mains powered) to small LED-based pocket-size projectors, which are obviously powered by batteries and/or wall chargers. What is the context of your question? Is this for schoolwork?

Context of mini projectors. Yeah I think your right about the batteries but how could these batterys be charged without taking them out..

Not schoolwork. Just curios that's all

Kasim said:
Context of mini projectors. Yeah I think your right about the batteries but how could these batterys be charged without taking them out..

Not schoolwork. Just curios that's all

I did a Google Images search on LED Projector just now, and got lots of good-looking hits. Try that search, and click into the smaller projector pictures that you see. You should be able to access their datasheets via this method, to learn what their power consumption is, and how long they last on batteries without being plugged into a wall wart power supply to recharge the batteries. :smile:

Thanks alot!

I think without connecting to mains it only last an hour or two.. Wonder if its worth getting one

Kasim said:
Thanks alot!

I think without connecting to mains it only last an hour or two.. Wonder if its worth getting one

Before getting any projector, I recommend finding one in a store and trying it out there. I made the mistake of buying an inexpensive projector over the Internet for use in some trainings with 4-6 people (so it didn't have to be a big super-bright one). The optical quality turned out to be so-so but probably acceptable. But the dang fan was way loud, too loud to use in a training where you are trying to talk over the fan. I ended up having to make a sound-quieting enclosure that still allowed good airflow for it. Lesson learned!

1. How do I determine the power requirements for my mini projector?

The power requirements for a mini projector depend on factors such as the size and brightness of the projector, as well as any additional features such as speakers or Wi-Fi connectivity. You can typically find the power requirements listed in the product specifications or user manual. It is important to make sure that the power supply you choose can provide enough power for the projector to function properly.

2. Can I use any power supply for my mini projector?

No, it is important to use the power supply that is specifically designed for your mini projector. Using a different power supply could potentially damage the projector or cause it to not function properly. If you have lost the original power supply, it is best to contact the manufacturer to purchase a replacement.

3. Can I use a power bank to power my mini projector?

Yes, you can use a power bank to power your mini projector as long as it has the correct voltage and current output. Make sure to check the power requirements for your specific projector and choose a power bank that can provide enough power. Keep in mind that using a power bank may affect the brightness and overall performance of the projector.

4. What are the different types of power supplies for mini projectors?

There are three main types of power supplies for mini projectors: AC adapters, DC adapters, and power banks. AC adapters plug into a wall outlet and provide a constant power source. DC adapters also plug into a wall outlet, but they convert the AC power to DC power before supplying it to the projector. Power banks are portable battery packs that can be used to power the projector on the go.

5. Can I use a voltage converter to power my mini projector?

Using a voltage converter is not recommended for powering your mini projector. These converters can often cause damage to the projector and can be a safety hazard. It is best to use the appropriate power supply for your specific projector to ensure proper functioning and safety.