Connect Mini USB to Micro USB: Canon S100 & Nexus 7

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Micro Usb
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of connecting a Canon S100 camera to a Nexus 7 tablet in order to transfer photos. The short answer is no, but there are other options such as using an eye-fi card or an OTG adapter. The compatibility of the devices is also mentioned and there is a mention of a cheaper alternative involving modifying the tablet. The conversation also includes suggestions for purchasing cables or adapters and mentions a new product called the gnarbox which may provide a solution in the future.
NeoDevin
Does anyone here know if it's possible to connect my Canon S100 (with a mini USB port) to my Nexus 7 tablet (with a micro USB port), to copy the pictures over?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Short answer, No

But there is a way to transfer files from your camera directly to your tablet.

http://www.eye.fi/ [Broken]
The eye-fi allows you to automatically transfer photo's from your camera to a smartphone/tablet using built in wifi on the standard looking SD card.

http://www.eye.fi/products/android [Broken]
download the Android app on your tablet.

Personally i had no idea this technology existed until looking into this, so glad you asked this question, I am planning on buying one of these cards myself as i too have an android phone and had similar issues.

Also i checked the compatability of your camera and it is supported with the eye-fi.

I am unaware if there are other companies that offer the same products for a cheaper price as this is the first site i came across that offered these products.

Hope this helps.

Luke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I had considered an eye-fi card, but was hoping for a cabled solution because I figured it would be cheaper, and I don't really need them uploaded on the fly. I just want them onto my tablet so I can do minor editing and uploading to social networks. If I can't find something cheaper, I'll probably go ahead with the eye-fi card.

With further searching, I found this. Any idea if I plug the other end of the camera cable into that, would my tablet be able to read it? Or maybe an SD to USB adapter? I haven't been able to find an SD to micro USB adapter, do they exist at all?

Maybe something like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085HI4YO/?tag=pfamazon01-20?

After doing a fair bit of research, i can say the OTG usb device should work off the bat, and if it doesn't there is this alternative that i found:

Check this blog out if you want to know the extent at which you may have to modify you may have to modify your nexus 7 to enable it to work.

cheaper alternative, a lot of screwing around with your new device.

This may not be the case and it may just "work" as others have not had to do all of the above.

good luck!

I just ordered the OTG adapter. Should be here in a week or two. I'll post back here once I've tried it out.

As far as I know mini and micro usb are electrically compatible, so you could splice together your own cable on the cheap if you have two connectors you don't mind destroying. No circuitry should be involved, just direct wiring. Correspondingly, the adapters should be pretty cheap anyway.

Android 3.0+ (and maybe earlier) will support mounting usb filesystems, but I doubt anyone expected the micro usb port to be used for this. I imagine some additional software will be needed. You'll have to root the device, as well.

I have used www.mycablemart.com a few times and while they sell low cost imports, their selection and service have been top notch. I did not see a cable that goes mini to micro - they do have some adapters that may do the trick.

Cheers

You cannot tether straight into the tablet from your camera. The EYEfi is the only solution out there but is too slow for what you are asking. my team and i are working to help you cable in and allow fast edits! it's called the gnarbox... check it out (when it comes out in a few months!) and feel free to get involved in helping us test and design.

1. What is the purpose of connecting a Mini USB to Micro USB for the Canon S100 and Nexus 7?

The purpose of connecting a Mini USB to Micro USB is to transfer data and charge the devices. The Canon S100 and Nexus 7 both have different USB ports, so a cable with a Mini USB on one end and a Micro USB on the other is needed to connect the two devices.

2. Can any Mini USB to Micro USB cable be used for the Canon S100 and Nexus 7?

No, it is important to use a cable that is compatible with both the Canon S100 and Nexus 7. Some cables may only work for charging and not data transfer, or may not fit properly in the device ports. It is best to use a cable that is specifically designed for both devices.

3. How do I know if my Mini USB to Micro USB cable is working?

You can test if your cable is working by connecting the Canon S100 and Nexus 7 together and attempting to transfer data or charge the devices. If the devices recognize each other and the data transfer or charging is successful, then the cable is working properly.

4. Can I use the Mini USB to Micro USB cable to transfer photos from my Canon S100 to my Nexus 7?

Yes, the Mini USB to Micro USB cable can be used to transfer photos from the Canon S100 to the Nexus 7. Simply connect the two devices together and follow the prompts on the Nexus 7 to import the photos from the Canon S100.

5. Is it safe to leave the Canon S100 and Nexus 7 connected via the Mini USB to Micro USB cable for extended periods of time?

It is generally safe to leave the devices connected for extended periods of time, as long as they are both fully charged and the cable is in good condition. However, it is always recommended to disconnect the devices when not in use to avoid any potential damage to the ports or cables.