1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimal basis of a topology

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    I can't seem to find this result in any of my textbooks. Given any basis B for a topology T on X, is there a minimal subset M of B that also is a basis for T (in the sense that any proper subset of M is not a basis for T)? If so, is Zorn's Lemma needed to prove this?
    Is the same true of subbases?

Attempt at proof using Zorn's Lemma:
    Let B be a basis for a topology T on X. Let A be the collection of all bases for T that is a subcollection of B. A is not empty because B is in A. Partially order A by set containment (i.e. D < E iff D contains E). Let C = {C_i} be a totally ordered subcollection of A. Let K = n(C_i) (intersection). We must show that K is a basis for T. Let U be a T-open set, and let x be in U. Since each C_i is a basis for T, then for each i, there exists C in C_i such that x is in C is a subset of U. Wait, C needs not be the same, and C needs not be in K.

Is the assertion false? What's a counterexample?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2
    How about this weaker assertion: Every topology T contains a minimal basis B for T (in the sense that any proper subset of B is not a basis for T).

This must be true, right? And the same for subbases? But Zorn's Lemma still doens't work.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    My question even stumped topologist Henno Bradsma. He said:

"I found a result that a metric space has a minimal subbase (proved by van Emde Boas).
    So probably not all spaces have them...
    All finite spaces have a unique minimal base. This is all U_x, where U_x = /\{U: U open and x in U},
    for x in X. Note that this argument works in all spaces where all intersections of open sets are open
    (sometimes called Alexandrov spaces), so e.g. it's true in discrete spaces.
    I think no base for R can be minimal, e.g., so the general result for bases seems false to me.

Henno"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook