Proving Minimization of Helmholtz Free Energy at Equilibrium

In summary, to prove that for a reaction occurring at constant T and V, F is minimized at equilibrium, we can use the equations ##F=U-TS## and ##TdS=dU+pdV-\mu dN## and set ##dN=0##. This reduces to ##dF=\mu dN##. However, when multiple species are involved, the last term must be ##\Sigma\mu_i \,dN_i##. To prove that F is minimized at equilibrium, we can use the second derivative and show that it is less than zero, indicating a minimum point.
Silviu

Homework Statement

Show that for a reaction occurring at constant T and V, F is minimized at equilibrium.

Homework Equations

##F=U-TS##
##TdS=dU+pdV-\mu dN##

The Attempt at a Solution

##dF=dU-d(TS)=dU-TdS-SdT=dU-dU -pdV+ \mu dN -S dT=-pdV - SdT + \mu dN##. At constant T and V this reduces to ##dF = \mu dN##. But I don't know what to do from here. Also in the next problem we have to use the fact that F is minimized at equilibrium to prove a relation between the chemical potentials of certain elements involved in a chemical reaction, so I assume i can't set ##dN=0##, as in a chemical reaction N changes and it seems that the fact that F is minimal at equilibrium holds in chemical reactions, too.
How can I solve this? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
When multiple species exist, the last term must be ##\Sigma\mu_i \,dN_i##, no? That's quite different from ##\mu\,dN## in the context of your problem.

Then, you have to prove that ##F## is minimized rather than maximized or at a saddle point. Use the second derivative to do this.

What is "Minimal Helmholtz Energy"?

"Minimal Helmholtz Energy" is a thermodynamic concept that describes the minimum amount of energy required to maintain a system at constant temperature and volume.

How is "Minimal Helmholtz Energy" calculated?

"Minimal Helmholtz Energy" is calculated using the equation A = U - TS, where A is the Helmholtz energy, U is the internal energy, T is the temperature, and S is the entropy of the system.

What is the significance of "Minimal Helmholtz Energy" in thermodynamics?

The concept of "Minimal Helmholtz Energy" is important in thermodynamics because it helps us understand the stability and equilibrium of a system. At minimal Helmholtz energy, a system is in its most stable state and can therefore exchange energy with its surroundings without changing its temperature or volume.

How does "Minimal Helmholtz Energy" relate to other thermodynamic potentials?

"Minimal Helmholtz Energy" is one of the four fundamental thermodynamic potentials, along with internal energy, enthalpy, and Gibbs energy. It is specifically used to describe systems at constant temperature and volume, while other potentials describe systems at different conditions.

What are some real-world applications of "Minimal Helmholtz Energy"?

"Minimal Helmholtz Energy" has many practical applications, such as in the study of phase transitions, chemical reactions, and the stability of materials. It is also used in the design and optimization of thermodynamic processes and systems in engineering and industry.