1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimal Helmholtz energy

1. Mar 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that for a reaction occurring at constant T and V, F is minimized at equilibrium.

2. Relevant equations
    ##F=U-TS##
    ##TdS=dU+pdV-\mu dN##
    3. The attempt at a solution
    ##dF=dU-d(TS)=dU-TdS-SdT=dU-dU -pdV+ \mu dN -S dT=-pdV - SdT + \mu dN##. At constant T and V this reduces to ##dF = \mu dN##. But I don't know what to do from here. Also in the next problem we have to use the fact that F is minimized at equilibrium to prove a relation between the chemical potentials of certain elements involved in a chemical reaction, so I assume i can't set ##dN=0##, as in a chemical reaction N changes and it seems that the fact that F is minimal at equilibrium holds in chemical reactions, too.
    How can I solve this? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2017 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When multiple species exist, the last term must be ##\Sigma\mu_i \,dN_i##, no? That's quite different from ##\mu\,dN## in the context of your problem.

Then, you have to prove that ##F## is minimized rather than maximized or at a saddle point. Use the second derivative to do this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted