Minimal Fencing for Building a Rectangular Chicken Coop

In summary, the farmer wishes to build a rectangular chicken coop with an area as close to, but not greater than N square units. To minimize the perimeter, x and y should be chosen as the largest integer less than N and x+1, respectively. However, if only the perimeter needs to be an integer, it is possible to choose values of x and y that will result in an exact area of N. A formula to find these values may not be applicable to all N.
AvgStudent
A farmer wishes to build a rectangular chicken coop with as close to, but not greater than N square units. He wants to purchase the least amount of fencing possible, but fencing can only be purchase by the integer foot. How does he do this?

P = 2x+2y
N = xy
y=N/x

P = 2x + 2(N/x)

P' = 2 - (2N)/x^2
0 = 2-(2N)/x^2
x = sqrt(N)
y = sqrt(N)

We obviously don't want to just make N a perfect square because the difference between high numbers won't make the square feet near N. Any suggestions to get the integer foot?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't "just make N a perfect square" because N is given.
Take x to be the largest integer less than N, y to be x+1.

I'm sorry, I don't exactly understand your answer. How would that minimize the perimeter? And in the problem it says you have to be as close to, but not more than N.

AvgStudent said:
A farmer wishes to build a rectangular chicken coop with as close to, but not greater than N square units. He wants to purchase the least amount of fencing possible, but fencing can only be purchase by the integer foot. How does he do this?

P = 2x+2y
N = xy
y=N/x

P = 2x + 2(N/x)

P' = 2 - (2N)/x^2
0 = 2-(2N)/x^2
x = sqrt(N)
y = sqrt(N)

We obviously don't want to just make N a perfect square because the difference between high numbers won't make the square feet near N. Any suggestions to get the integer foot?
As the problem is stated here, only the perimeter needs to be an integer.

As long as x and y each is not restricted to being an integer, it's possible to values of x and y so that the area is exactly N, whether or not N is an integer.

Ooh. I didn't catch that. Is there a possible way to create a formula to find x and y relating to N? No matter how I think about it, it doesn't apply to all N.

1. What is minimal fencing for building a rectangular chicken coop?

Minimal fencing for building a rectangular chicken coop refers to the minimum amount of fencing required to enclose a rectangular area for keeping chickens. It typically includes basic fencing materials such as wire mesh, posts, and a gate.

2. How much fencing do I need for a rectangular chicken coop?

The amount of fencing needed for a rectangular chicken coop depends on the size of the coop and the number of chickens you plan to keep. As a general rule, you should plan for at least 4 square feet of space per chicken, and then calculate the perimeter of your coop to determine the amount of fencing needed.

3. What type of fencing is best for a rectangular chicken coop?

The best type of fencing for a rectangular chicken coop is typically wire mesh with small gaps, such as chicken wire or hardware cloth. This type of fencing is strong enough to keep predators out, while still allowing your chickens to see and feel connected to their environment.

4. Do I need to bury the fencing for a rectangular chicken coop?

It is recommended to bury the bottom of your fencing at least 1-2 feet into the ground to prevent predators from digging under the fence. This is especially important if you have predators in your area, such as foxes or raccoons, that may try to dig under the fence to access your chickens.

5. How do I secure the fencing to the ground for a rectangular chicken coop?

To secure the fencing to the ground, you can use u-shaped stakes or small rocks to hold the bottom of the fencing in place. Another option is to dig a small trench around the perimeter of the coop and bury the bottom of the fencing in the trench. This will help prevent predators from digging under the fence.