1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimal polinomial question

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just writing 'there is no minimal polynomial' isn't much of a try. Form the matrix M-x*I and take it's determinant to get the characteristic polynomial and then factor to see if there are repeated factors you can drop.

4. Feb 4, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Having concluded, correctly, that MT is
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]
    How can you declare that MT v= 0? For all v? By the definition of M, M<1, 0, 0, 0>= <0, 0, 0, 1>. The only matrix that takes every vector to 0 is the 0 matrix! And every matrix except the 0 vector has a minimal polynomial. As Dick said, the characteristic polynomial is given by
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc} -\lambda & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & -\lambda & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & -\lambda & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 & -\lambda \end{array}\right|[/tex]

Take out any repeated factors to get the minimal polynomial.

5. Feb 5, 2008 #4
  6. Feb 5, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have [itex]\lambda^5- \lambda^2+ \lambda- 1[/itex] and then a arrow pointing to
    [itex](\lambda^2- 1)(\lambda^3+ 1)/\lambda[/itex]. How did you go from the first to the second? Oh, and since the determinant you are evaluating only has 4 [itex]\lambda s[/itex] in it, how are you getting [itex]\lambda^5[/itex]?

7. Feb 5, 2008 #6
    i was looking for numbers which make the hole thing 0

i put 1 and -1
    and then i get
    L=lamda
    (L-1)(L+1)(ax^3+bx^2+cx+d)

i opened the colls and equalized the coeffishents
    and fount the a b c d

also i divided by L because i multiplied some line by L
    so the determinant must be divided by L

what now??

and also can you please answer on my PM about the question
    of the transformation
    i realy want to understand this thing from top to bottom

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?