1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimal Polynomial Question

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let V be the vector space of n x n matrices over the field F. Fix [tex] A \in V[/tex]. Let T be the linear operator on V defined by T(B) = AB, for all [tex] B \in V[/tex].

a). Show that the minimal polynomial for T equals the minimal polynomial for A.
    b) Find the matrix of T with respect the the standard basis of V. i.e. the basis [tex]\left\{E_{ij} \right| 1 \leq i,j \leq n [/tex]}, where [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] is the matrix having 1 in the (i,j)th entry and zeros everywhere else.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the operator T is represented in some ordered basis by the matrix A, then T and A have the same minimal polynomial. The problem I'm running into is that I'm having a really hard time understanding abstract linear algebra, so this is all very very confusing to me and I'm not quite sure where to even start on this problem...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is the definition of "minimal polynomial" for a linear operator?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook