1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimal Polynomial

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    Here is my problem:

Let A be a complex n x n matrix with minimal polynomial q(x)=the sum from j=0 to m of [tex]\alpha_j x^j[/tex] where [tex]m\leq n[/tex] and [tex]\alpha_m[/tex] = 1.

Show: If A is non-singular then [tex]\alpha_0[/tex] does not equal 0.

So, I get that 0=q(A)=[tex]\alpha_0 I_n + \alpha_1 A + \alpha_2 A^2 +...+A^m[/tex], but I'm not sure what to do here. I assume we will have to use the fact that A is non-singular, but I'm not sure how. Does it maybe involve multiplying both sides by x on the right side? Any hints would be much appreciated! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assume a0 is zero. See if you can find a way to reduce the degree of the minimal polynomial such that A is still a zero

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    So, first, I've tried rewriting q(A) like this:
    0=[tex]\alpha_0 I_n+(\alpha_1+\alpha_2 A+...+A^{m-1})A[/tex]

Then, if [tex]\alpha_0[/tex] is 0, then 0=[tex](\alpha_1+\alpha_2 A+...+A^{m-1})A[/tex].

So, if we multiply both sides by a nonzero vector x, we have:
    0=[tex](\alpha_1+\alpha_2 A+...+A^{m-1})Ax[/tex].
    But since x is nonzero and A is nonsingular, this cannot equal 0. Therefore, [tex]\alpha_0[/tex] must equal 0. Is my reasoning correct? I'm still not sure. Thanks!

5. Mar 25, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't know that [tex] \alpha_1 + ... + A^{m-1}[/tex] is non-singular. Instead of applying both operators to a vector, try multiplying on the right by A-1 and see what you have

6. Mar 25, 2009 #5
    Well, then [tex]\alpha_1 + \alpha_2 A+...+A^{m-1}[/tex]=0. But I don't see how that helps because if we are assuming that [tex]\alpha_0[/tex] is 0, and then [tex]\alpha_1 + \alpha_2 A+...+A^{m-1}[/tex]=0, q(A) still equals 0, so it would give us what we want. I must be missing something :confused:

7. Mar 27, 2009 #6
    Hey guys, I'm still having problems with this. As Office_Shredder suggested, I assume [tex]\alpha_0[/tex] is 0, and then multiply by the inverse of A on the right side of each side which leaves me with:

0=[tex]\alpha_1 + \alpha_2 A+...+A^{m-1}[/tex], but what to do with this I can't seem to see.

8. Mar 27, 2009 #7
    Oh!!! Does this last equation set equal to 0 imply that the there would have to be a polynomial of lower degree (m-1)? Which would be impossible because we were talking about the minimal polynomial to begin with.

9. Mar 27, 2009 #8
    Yea, that last statement sounds about right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook