Minimal Prime Tuplets and Nontrivial Bounds for A008407 Sequence

• Thread starter CRGreathouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the sequence of minimal width for k-tuplets of primes allowed by divisibility concerns is a(2) = 2 since n, n+2 could both be prime; n, n+1 isn't admissible since then either n or n+1 is even. However, a reformulation of the sequence as superadditive gives a tighter bound of a(n+1) >= a(n) + 2. The purpose of the thread was to find an upper bound on the number of primes in a 'small' interval, but under the Riemann hypothesis we have h\approx2.372\ln x\sqrt x-4.44, so for large x this
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was wondering if any nontrivial bounds for http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A008407 were known. This is the sequence of minimal width for k-tuplets of primes allowed by divisibility concerns. a(2) = 2 since n, n+2 could both be prime; n, n+1 isn't admissible since then either n or n+1 is even.

Clearly a(n+1) >= a(n) + 2, but practically speaking a(n) seems to grow superlinearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, it just hit me: an appropriate reformulation of the sequence is superadditive. Even better, http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A023193 is subadditive, so I can just use the best ratio with some additive constant as an absolute bound.

OK, here's what I have: A023193(n) <= floor(n*331/2467+33.1). This comes from the fact that A023193(4934) = 662, so 4934 consecutive numbers can't contain more than 662 primes as long as the smallest number in the range > 4934. So clearly every 4934n numbers can't contain more than 662n primes, since each of the n subintervals must be legal as well. The additive constant 33.1 is such that this holds for 1 <= n <= 4934, and so must hold for all n >= 1. (Also, checking shows that this actually holds even if the smallest number is less than 4934.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The purpose of the thread was to find an upper bound on the number of primes in a 'small' interval h, [itex]\pi(x)-\pi(x-h)[/itex]. Under the Riemann hypothesis we have

[tex]\left|\pi(x)-\pi(x-h)-(\operatorname{li}(x)-\operatorname{li}(x-h))\right|\le\frac{\ln x\sqrt x+\ln(x-h)\sqrt{x-h}}{8\pi}\approx\frac{\ln x\sqrt x}{4\pi}[/tex]

for x-h > 3000, but we expect a large degree of cancellation. Using the above result we have

[tex]\pi(x)-\pi(x-h)\le\frac{331h}{2467}+33.1[/tex]

which may be tighter for small h or large x and is not dependent on the RH or any other unproved hypothesis -- though the k-tuple conjecture would mean that A02319 is a maximum rather than 'just' an upper bound.

So equating the errors in the two methods, I get
[tex]\frac{331h}{2467}+33.1\approx\frac{\ln x\sqrt x}{4\pi}[/tex]
which is
[tex]h\approx2.372\ln x\sqrt x-4.44[/tex]

So for large x, this method can be useful. Still, I wonder if there is a sublinear bound for this, which could greatly increase the useful range of the approximation. Has anyone seen something like this? Is there a book or a paper I could read?

What are minimal prime tuplets?

Minimal prime tuplets are sets of three or more prime numbers that have a specific mathematical relationship with each other. This relationship is known as a "tuplet" and is defined as the difference between each pair of adjacent numbers in the set being the same.

How do you find minimal prime tuplets?

Minimal prime tuplets can be found by using mathematical algorithms and techniques, such as the Sieve of Eratosthenes, to generate prime numbers and then checking for the tuplet relationship between them. It is a complex process that requires a deep understanding of number theory and computational skills.

What is the significance of minimal prime tuplets?

Minimal prime tuplets have been studied by mathematicians for centuries and have been a topic of fascination due to their unique properties. They have also been used in cryptography and coding theory due to their relationship with prime numbers, which are crucial in these fields.

How many minimal prime tuplets are known?

Currently, there are only a few known minimal prime tuplets, with the largest being the triplet (3, 5, 7). This is because it is extremely difficult to find and prove the existence of these sets, and new ones are still being discovered and studied by mathematicians.

What are the potential applications of minimal prime tuplets?

Aside from their use in cryptography and coding theory, minimal prime tuplets have also been studied in relation to gaps between prime numbers and the distribution of prime numbers. They may also have potential applications in other areas of mathematics and science, but further research is needed to fully understand their significance.