Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimal Quantum of Energy

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    I have two questions regarding Quantom physics and energy:

1.What is the minimal quantom of energy in the universe? and How and who established it?

2.Are there theories that predict that a lower level of Quantom might exist and will be discovered/validated in the future? Who proposed the theories and what arguments are they using to justify them?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

balulu, There is no minimum. For example for a photon the quantum is E = ħω, and since the frequency ω can be as small as you like, so can E.

4. Jul 23, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

0. It is quantum, not quantom
    1. There is no such thing. If the universe was completely static (and not expanding), one could argue that a photon with the wavelength of the size of the universe would have the minimal possible energy. But the universe is not static, so it is not really meaningful to talk about those photons.
    2. What do you mean by "lower level"? The theories were developed by many scientists over several decades, and nearly every recent scientific experiment uses quantum physics in some way, with excellent agreement.

5. Jul 24, 2012 #4
    hi guys
    i'm Ezio , an italian student physic.
    i would start apologise me for my english, i have recently started the study of the english language. i read your argument on the possibility that there no be minimum energy for the elementary particles. i think that this argument is much interesting, but i asked me as this fact may agree with Casimir-Polder-Lifgarbagez's experiment, which show that there be an "point zero of the energy" in to quantum space.....this fact is expected by QUD, it just say as the vacuum space has an point zero of energy to below which you can't go.....

thanks for you have read this post
    ezio

6. Jul 24, 2012 #5
    Hi Balulu.

you'd need discrete time (evolution) to have a minimal quantity of energy. If we assume time is continuous then so is energy and it can be arbitrarily close to zero.

Of course, Nature ain't dumb (it JUST WORKS),and probably doesn't have zeroes and singularities, so make a guess how she does that :-)

7. Jul 24, 2012 #6
    Hi Balulu,
    thanks for your answer
    could you explain me what means to discrete time in the this context , please?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook