Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimising for Lambda; Differentiation?

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    Hi, so first post on this forum so I hope I'm doing everything good-as-gold!

I've been twisting my head around a derivation of the uncertainty principle and I'm a little stumped on something that I feel I really should know. Hope someone would like to help.

Certain things are defined at the start,
    [tex]\hat{Q}'=\hat{Q}-\left\langle\hat{Q}\right\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{R}'=\hat{R}-\left\langle\hat{R}\right\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]\phi(x)=(\hat{Q}'+\textit{i}\lambda\hat{R}')\psi(x)[/tex]
    [tex]I(\lambda)=\intdx\phi^{*}(x)\phi(x)\geq0[/tex]

I've followed the manipulation of [tex]I(\lambda)[/tex] all the way to the following line;
    [tex]I(\lambda)=(\Delta Q)^{2}+\lambda^{2}(\Delta R)^{2}+\textit{i}\lambda\left\langle\left[\hat{Q},\hat{R}\right]\right\rangle\geq0[/tex]

That's all fine. In the notes he then says "Minimise for [tex]\lambda[/tex]" following it with;
    [tex]2 \lambda(\Delta R)^{2}+\textit{i}\left\langle\left[\hat{Q},\hat{R}\right]\right\rangle=0[/tex]

He then subs it back into [tex]I(\lambda)[/tex]
    It looks like he's differentiated wrt lambda. But I'm not entirely sure what he means when he says minimise for lambda.
    Also, I haven't seen anywhere where 'I' has been defined. Not sure what it is!
    Has anyone got any ideas?

MUCH appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted