Why Does an EKG Leadwire System Show Different Lead Counts on Various Monitors?

• Thread starter justinfranco
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of increasing EKG's alarm accuracy and eliminating artifacts in a disposable 10-lead EKG leadwire system designed for anesthesia and vital sign monitors in intensive care units. The speaker is curious about the main ways to achieve this goal and mentions their product, which comes with an adapter cable, and the differing number of leads shown when used with different monitors.
justinfranco
Do you know what are the main ways to increase EKG's alarm accuracy whilst eliminating artifacts?

Engineering news on Phys.org

justinfranco said:
Do you know what are the main ways to increase EKG's alarm accuracy whilst eliminating artifacts?

Sure. What is the context of the question?

And welcome to the PF, BTW. :smile:

berkeman said:
Sure. What is the context of the question?

And welcome to the PF, BTW. :smile:

Sorry for not keeping it updated.
I've recently developed a disposable 10-lead EKG leadwire system specifically for Anesthesia and vital sign monitors for Intensive care units. Due to the massive use of equipment in this unit the leadwires are fully shielded. However, artifacts still exist which also causes false alarms from time to time. I wonder what is the main ways to increase alarm accuracy, eliminate artifacts so I can adopt in my products.

Justin

My product--a disposable EKG leadwire system, carries with an adapter cable. When I use a 5-lead adapter cable to Datex-Ohmeda S/5 anaesthesia monitor, it shows 5 leads. But when I use the same cable to Datex-Ohmeda S/5 vital sign monitor or S/5 compact, it shows 3 leads. What is going on?

Justin

1. What are common sources of EKG artifacts?

Common sources of EKG artifacts can include muscle tremors, patient movement, electrical interference, poor electrode contact, and loose lead wires.

2. How can muscle tremors be minimized during an EKG recording?

To minimize muscle tremors, patients should be instructed to relax their muscles and remain as still as possible during the recording. Additionally, using a larger electrode size can help reduce the effects of muscle tremors.

3. What is the best way to prevent electrical interference on an EKG recording?

To prevent electrical interference, it is important to ensure proper grounding of equipment and avoid placing electrodes near sources of electrical interference such as power outlets or electronic devices.

4. Can EKG artifacts be eliminated completely?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate EKG artifacts. However, they can be minimized through proper technique and equipment maintenance.

5. How can I improve electrode contact for a more accurate EKG recording?

To improve electrode contact, it is important to clean the skin before placing electrodes, ensure proper placement according to the manufacturer's instructions, and regularly check for loose or faulty lead wires.