Minimizing function using Calc of Variations and LaGrange Equations

In summary: C We know that the area of this region is given by: A = ∫∫1dxdy = ∫∫a * 1 dxdy = a Therefore, we can say that a = A. Substituting this into the equation for λ, we get: λ = (Wxx(1+(Wy)^2) - 2WxWyWxy + Wyy(1+(Wx)^2)) / (1+(Wx)^2+(Wy)^2)^(3/2) = -2/a = -2(2∏/3C)^(1/3) In summary, we can use
shank8
My instructor likes to explain his topics at light speed and I could barely understand how to use Calculus of variations and the La Grange equations to solve this so I need some help please.

This is the problem:

Consider the functional for W = w(x,y) prescribed on partial(D),

I(W) = ∫∫√1+(Wx)^2+(Wy)^2)dxdy

subject to the integral constraint that

J(W) = ∫∫Wdxdy = C, where C is the constant.

Use a Calculus of Variations approach in conjunction with the intro of a Lagrange multiplier, λ, to show that:

λ = (Wxx(1+(Wy)^2) - 2WxWyWxy + Wyy(1+(Wx)^2)) / (1+(Wx)^2+(Wy)^2)^(3/2)

where Wx, Wy, Wxx, Wyy, Wxy are all partials.

Now demonstrate that:

λ = -2/a = -2(2∏/3C)^(1/3)

Any help at all would be great. I don't even know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution: We can use the calculus of variations and the introduction of a Lagrange multiplier, λ, to solve this problem. The Euler-Lagrange equation is a necessary condition for the extremum of a functional and is given by: F(x,y,u,u',u'') - λg(x,y,u)=0 Where F represents the functional, g represents the constraint, and λ is the Lagrange multiplier. For our problem, the functional is I(W) and the constraint is J(W); therefore, we can rewrite the Euler-Lagrange equation as: I'(W) - λJ'(W) = 0 The functional derivative of I(W) is given by: I'(W) = Wxx(1+(Wy)^2) - 2WxWyWxy + Wyy(1+(Wx)^2)) / (1+(Wx)^2+(Wy)^2)^(3/2) The functional derivative of J(W) is given by: J'(W) = 1 Substituting these into the Euler-Lagrange equation, we get:Wxx(1+(Wy)^2) - 2WxWyWxy + Wyy(1+(Wx)^2)) / (1+(Wx)^2+(Wy)^2)^(3/2) - λ = 0 Rearranging, we get: λ = (Wxx(1+(Wy)^2) - 2WxWyWxy + Wyy(1+(Wx)^2)) / (1+(Wx)^2+(Wy)^2)^(3/2) Now, for the second part of the question, we have that the integral constraint is J(W) = ∫∫Wdxdy = C, where C is the constant. We can rewrite this as: ∫∫Wdxdy =

1. What is the purpose of minimizing a function using the Calculus of Variations and LaGrange Equations?

The purpose of minimizing a function using the Calculus of Variations and LaGrange Equations is to find the optimal value of a function that satisfies certain constraints. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where finding the minimum or maximum value of a function is important.

2. How does the Calculus of Variations work?

The Calculus of Variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal value of a functional. It involves finding the critical points of a functional, which are the points where the derivative of the functional is equal to zero. By solving for these critical points, the optimal value of the functional can be determined.

3. What is the relationship between the Calculus of Variations and LaGrange Equations?

The Calculus of Variations and LaGrange Equations are closely related as both are used to find the optimal value of a function. LaGrange Equations are used to solve for the critical points of a functional, which are then used to determine the optimal value of the function using the Calculus of Variations.

4. What are the key concepts in the Calculus of Variations and LaGrange Equations?

The key concepts in the Calculus of Variations and LaGrange Equations include functionals, critical points, and constraints. Functionals are functions that take in a function as an input and output a real number. Critical points are the points where the derivative of a functional is equal to zero. Constraints are conditions that must be satisfied in order to find the optimal value of the functional.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Calculus of Variations and LaGrange Equations?

The Calculus of Variations and LaGrange Equations have various real-world applications, including finding the shortest path between two points, determining the optimal shape of a structure, and optimizing control systems. These concepts are also used in economics to find the optimal production levels and in physics to determine the path of a particle with the least action.