What is the minimum speed required for Spiderman to catch a falling baby?

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum speed that Spiderman must push off from a 45 m building in order to catch a falling baby before she hits the ground. The first attempt at solving the problem used the formula ##v_{0y} - at = 0## to find the time it takes for the baby to fall and then subtracted 1 second for Spiderman's time. The second attempt used the formula ##s = -5t^2 + vt + h## to find the time and velocity needed for Spiderman to reach the baby before she hits the ground. The confusion arose from the sign of the velocity in the formula, as Spiderman needs a velocity in the down direction to catch the baby.
Masrat_A

Homework Statement

A baby falls from the top of a ##45 m## building. What is the minimum speed that Spiderman must push off from the same building one second later in order to catch the baby before she strikes the ground?

Homework Equations

Please see below.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried my hand at solving to, unfortunately, no avail.

##v_{0y} - at = 0##
##10t = 45##
##t = 4.5##

##v_y = 45 - 10(4.5)##
##v_y = 0##

Here is the solution of a friend (which I feel is right), though he did not have enough time to explain his process.

##5t^2 +45 = 0##
##5t^2 = 45##
##t^2 = 9##
##t = 3 s##

##-5(2)^2 - v(2) +45 = 0##
##-20 - 2v + 45 = 0##
##25 - 2v = 0##
##2v = 25##
##v = 12.5##

Could anyone please explain to me what formulas had been used in the two parts to find time and velocity, and precisely how they were utilized?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Masrat_A said:
##v_0y - at = 0##
I assume you meant to write ##v_{0y}##. You should always provide your argumentation, otherwise it is not easy to decipher your thinking. Why do you think the appropriate expression should look like that?

Furthermore, what do you think is the reasoning behind the formulas your friend used? In order to learn it is also important to be able to look at a solution and decipher what it means. If you look at them, what are the formulas telling you?

(Your friend's result is correct - as long as you have the correct units - always quote the units!)

I apologize; I've fixed it in my opening post.

I understand that time is needed for velocity, and once we're able to find the time of baby falling, we would have to subtract it by one for Spiderman. For the first part, could it be possible that he has used ##h + 5t^2 = vt##? At ##45 m##, our velocity would be ##0##, so ##vt## equalling it does make sense.

For part two, after reviewing notes, it seems like the formula is ##s = -5t^2 + vt + h##. I'm assuming ##s## is height of the ground, which is ##0##.

What I'm now confused about, however, is why he had replaced the addition sign on the left of ##vt## in ##s = -5t^2 + vt + h## with subtraction.

The positive direction is the up direction, Spiderman clearly needs a speed in the down direction.

That makes complete sense. Thank you very much!

1. What is minimum acceleration?

Minimum acceleration is the smallest amount of change in velocity that an object can undergo in a given time period.

2. How is minimum acceleration calculated?

Minimum acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur.

3. What is the significance of minimum acceleration?

Minimum acceleration is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand how objects move and change over time.

4. Can minimum acceleration be negative?

Yes, minimum acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

5. How is minimum acceleration related to other concepts in physics?

Minimum acceleration is closely related to velocity, acceleration, and time. It is also an important component in Newton's laws of motion.