1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum amount of energy necessary to remove a proton from 42-Ca atom

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1
    Q: What is the minimum amount of energy necessary to remove a proton from the nucleus of a 42-Ca atom, thereby converting it into a 41-K atom? The former has a mass of 41.958618 u, the latter 40.961825 u, and the hydrogen atom has a mass of 1.007825 u.

My answer:

42-Ca --> 41-K + 1-H

Therefore change in mass (Delta m) = 0.011032 u

I then used this mass in E = mc^2

and got the answe E = 10.278 MeV

Can someone else try this question and see if they get the same answer? Or tell me if i have done it correctly/incorrectly

Thanks in advance :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2
    Well you seem to have the correct answer - however the mass of a proton isn't the same as the mass of a hydrogen atom, so if you have the data for the mass of a proton you'd get a more accurate answer.

4. Oct 22, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The method is correct. Using atomic mass units includes the mass of the electrons. The binding energies of the electrons effectively cancel. There is perhaps a small error of a few eV or keV.

5. Oct 24, 2005 #4
    Thanks for that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?