Minimum Angle to Prevent Slip

In summary, the conversation involves determining the minimum angle α for which two boxes, with masses of 30kg and 40kg, respectively, will remain stationary on an inclined plane with a coefficient of static friction of μs = 0.2. The equations used include μsN = Fs and equilibrium equations. The attempt at a solution involves finding N in the second equation, but the answer is not useful and there may be errors in the equations used. It is also advised to keep all calculations symbolic until the final step.
whitejac

Homework Statement

9.12)
The mass of the box on the left is 30kg and the mass of the box on the right is 40kg. The coefficient of static friction between each box and the inclined plane is μs = 0.2. Determine the minimum angle α for which the boxes will remain stationary.
20151202_052804.jpg

Homework Equations

μsN = Fs
Equillibrium Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As you can hopefully see, Box 1 is the yellow box on the right and box 2 is the blue box on the left. My problem is finding N in the second equation. It's just looking too nasty...
Box 1:
Fx = T - Fs - Mgcos(30)
Fy = N - MgSin(30)
Mg = 392.4 => N = 196.2 => Fs39.24 => T = 379.04

Box 2:
Fx = T - Fs - Mgcos(α)
Fy = N - MgSin(α)
Mg = 294.3 => α = Cos-1(N / 294.3)
This answer isn't very useful to me... You can see at the bottom of my notes I tried making substituting alpha into Fx, but it gives a nasty thing to factor. Historically this means I screwed up somewhere rather than the problem being this complicated...?
20151202_052450.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
whitejac said:
Box 1:
Fx = T - Fs - Mgcos(30)

I've only have a quick look at this so I might be wrong but I think I can see a few issues with this equation...

1) The box isn't accelerating so what does that say about the net force in any direction?
2) Which way are you assuming friction acts on Box 1?
3) Check you haven't used Cos when it should be Sin?

CWatters said:
1) The box isn't accelerating so what does that say about the net force in any direction?
2) Which way are you assuming friction acts on Box 1?
3) Check you haven't used Cos when it should be Sin?
Judging from the working, whitejac has substituted that the net force is zero. But I second your points 2 and 3.
Also, whitejac, I strongly advise against plugging in numerics until the final step. Keep everything symbolic until then. There are many advantages.

What is the "Minimum Angle to Prevent Slip"?

The "Minimum Angle to Prevent Slip" is the minimum slope or angle at which an object will not slide or slip when placed on it.

Why is the "Minimum Angle to Prevent Slip" important?

The "Minimum Angle to Prevent Slip" is important because it helps to ensure the safety of individuals and objects on sloped surfaces. It also helps engineers and architects in designing structures and surfaces that are safe and stable.

How is the "Minimum Angle to Prevent Slip" calculated?

The "Minimum Angle to Prevent Slip" is calculated using the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the force required to move an object over a surface. The formula for calculating the minimum angle is: tan α = μ, where α is the angle and μ is the coefficient of friction.

What factors can affect the "Minimum Angle to Prevent Slip"?

The "Minimum Angle to Prevent Slip" can be affected by several factors, including the type of surface (smooth, rough, wet, etc.), the weight and shape of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and surface contaminants can also affect the minimum angle.

How can the "Minimum Angle to Prevent Slip" be increased?

The minimum angle to prevent slip can be increased by increasing the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface. This can be done by using materials with a higher coefficient of friction, adding texture or grip to the surface, or by increasing the weight of the object. Additionally, keeping surfaces clean and dry can also help to increase the minimum angle to prevent slip.