Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum distance between ellipses

1. May 1, 2004 #1
    Forum,
    I'm addressing the problem of computing the minimum possible distance between two non-interacting bodies on elliptical orbits. From a general point of view, it looks like a minimization problem of a function of two variables, e.g. in the domain [0,2*pi)*[0,2*pi). This problem can be numerically addressed in a standard fashion, e.g. by a conjugate gradient method. But I wonder if an analytical approach exists that can simplify the problem - maybe reducing it to unidimensional - and significantly speed-up the computation.
    I have posted the some question on the Celestial Mechanics Forum - no reply so far.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2004 #2
    If the path is ellptical, wouldn't it just be a straight line representing the minor axis of the ellipse?

4. May 2, 2004 #3
    I guess I've not been clear enough: I'm dealing with two ellipses (e.g., representing the paths of two minor planets around the sun) in 3D. Of course, you may assume that they share one of the foci.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?