1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum grade for admission into med colleges

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1
    What is the min grade u have to get for a free seat in med college in usa or uk

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2
    For most, the official minimum GPA is a 2.7, but I doubt anyone ever gets in with that. 3.5+ is considered competitive. Balance is so important here, your better off being good at everything then being great at 4 things and below average at one.

4. Dec 7, 2004 #3
    what's gpa?

5. Dec 7, 2004 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Your question actually cannot be answered. This is because you are comparing apples and oranges.

In the UK, there is such a thing as an "undergraduate" medical degree. It means that you can enter a university and get something similar to a B.Sc in medicine. In the US, a "medical degree" is a graduate degree. This means that you need to already have a baccalaureate degree of some kind to apply for medical school. You need to already have a B.Sc in chemistry, biology, biochemistry, physics, etc, etc... So the title "doctor" that you get with your M.D. at the end of your medical school curriculum is equivalent to a Ph.D, JD, etc. degree of any other field of studies at that level.

A "GPA" is Grade Point Average. For each course you take as an undergraduate, the grades of A, B, C, D, etc.. carries some point (typically A=4.0, B=3.0, etc.. there are variations to this from school to school). It is the cumulative average of these over all the courses that you took that gives you a cumulative GPA that you obtained upon your graduation with your undergraduate degree.

Zz.

P.S. There is no such thing as a "free seat" in medical schools in the US. I don't even know what that is in any field of study in the US schools.

6. Dec 7, 2004 #5
    GPA is grade point average, normally on a 4.0 scale with 4.0 being straight A average. I disagree with kdinser that a 3.5+ will get you a free seat. Getting a full ride from a university is extremely difficult. Most people who get a free ride exhibit BOTH a financial need and wonderful academics. There are a few geniuses who get a free ride but it is not soley based on thier grades. Normally they did stellar on the SATs, have nearly a 4.0 gpa, are in the top 10% of their graduating class as well as extensive extra-curricular activities. I've been to two universities and I've only met one person with a full-ride from the institution. Don't let this discourage you, though. Just because a university doesn't give you a full ride doesn't mean that you can't get external scholarships and student loans to help. At VSU, we have the HOPE scholarship which is a statewide scholarship that pays for your entire tuition bill if you have above a 3.0 gpa.

7. Dec 7, 2004 #6
    Oops! I thought by med you meant a medium or average college. Sorry.

8. Dec 7, 2004 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the UK universities usually want at least 3 B grades at A level, at least two of them sciences.

9. Dec 11, 2004 #8

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It should be mentioned that you don't have to hold a science degree. You can have a BA in any liberal art so long as you take a year of Biology, year of Gen Chem, year of O Chem, year of Physics, and year of Calculus. Some schools might also want vertebrate zoology or something else of that nature, but your actual undergraduate major is of little importance unless you intend to include a research component in your MD or apply to a joint MD/PhD program.

Edit: Actually, there are some medical school (I'm not sure exactly which ones) that don't even necessarily require that you have a bachelor's degree, just so long as you have completed all of the pre-med requirements and three years of undergraduate study. I would imagine your performance must be extremely competitive to be admitted under these circumstances, however.

10. Dec 11, 2004 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's true... that's why I did say "etc... etc.." in my majors list.

In any case, this whole question is now moot since it appears that the person who first posted this question is now more keen on "options in finance".

Oy vey....

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?