What is the minimum height of the bag needed for glucose infusion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the specific gravity of a glucose solution in a collapsible plastic bag and how to determine the minimum height of the bag in order to infuse glucose into a vein. The conversation also mentions the equation P=\rhogh and the importance of including units in calculations. The specific gravity is a unit-less ratio of the density of the substance to the density of water.
DrMcDreamy

Homework Statement

A collapsible plastic bag contains a glucose solution. If the average gauge pressure in the vein is 15000 Pa, what must be the minimum height of the bag in order to infuse glucose into the vein? Assume that the specific gravity of the solution is 1.04. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

P=[tex]\rho[/tex]gh

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what the units of the specific gravity so I assumed its 1.04 g/c,3. So it becomes 1040 kg/m3.

So would it be:

P=[tex]\rho[/tex]gh

15000 Pa = (1040 kg/m3)(9.80 kg m/s2)h
[tex]\frac{15000 Pa}{1040*9.80}[/tex] = h
1.47 = h

Is that right? TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks correct.

But do tell your teacher that NO value should be given without its units. (i'm obviously referring to the "1.04" for the specific gravity.)R.

Its correct! So what would be the usual units for specific gravity? TIA

I would have guessed g/cm^3 as you did.
But purely because the value was close to 1.
(The density of water is 1g/cm^3).

Rick88 said:
I would have guessed g/cm^3 as you did.
But purely because the value was close to 1.
(The density of water is 1g/cm^3).

Specific gravity is unit-less. It's a ratio of densities. That's what makes it "specific".

In most cases it's a ratio of the density of the given substance to the density of water.

Oh, of course.

Thanks for that, gneill.

Thank you gneill!

1. What is the minimum height of a bag for air travel?

The minimum height requirement for a bag to be carried on a plane varies depending on the airline. Generally, it is around 22 inches. However, it is recommended to check with your specific airline before traveling.

2. Can I use a smaller bag as a carry-on if it meets the weight limit?

Most airlines have specific size requirements for carry-on bags, regardless of weight. It is best to check with your airline to ensure your bag meets their size restrictions.

3. Are there any exceptions to the minimum height requirement for bags?

Some airlines may allow smaller bags for special circumstances, such as traveling with a child or medical equipment. It is important to check with your airline before your flight to see if any exceptions apply.

4. How do I measure the height of my bag correctly?

The height of a bag is typically measured from the bottom of the bag to the highest point, excluding any handles or wheels. Make sure to follow your airline's specific guidelines for measuring your bag's height.

5. What happens if my bag is too tall for the airline's requirements?

If your bag exceeds the maximum height allowed by the airline, you may be required to check it in and pay any applicable fees. It is best to double-check the height requirements before arriving at the airport to avoid any inconvenience.