Minimum launch angle needed

In summary, at x=200 ft, the height of the projectile is y=50ft. When x=200ft, shouldn't y=0ft? I thought the problem is asking to find the "smallest angle needed to hit the ground 200 ft downfield". I don't understand the meaning of minimum/maximum. To me, the projectile either hits (200,0) or it doesn't. If the problem gives us the initial velocity, shouldn't there only be one value of the angle to hit (200,0) instead of multiple like the words "minimum/maximum angle" is suggesting?
AirForceOne
Suppose we have a cannon at a height of 3 ft and want the projectile to hit the ground a distance d=200ft downfield. The launch speed v0 is 100ft/s. What is the minimum needed launch angle and the corresponding total time of flight?

I wasn't able to figure this problem out, so I looked at the answer. The answer is 19.06 degrees and 2.116 seconds. Using these values in the kinematic equations, I calculated that at x=200 ft, the height of the projectile is y=50ft. When x=200ft, shouldn't y=0ft? I thought the problem is asking to find the "smallest angle needed to hit the ground 200 ft downfield". I don't understand the meaning of minimum/maximum. To me, the projectile either hits (200,0) or it doesn't. If the problem gives us the initial velocity, shouldn't there only be one value of the angle to hit (200,0) instead of multiple like the words "minimum/maximum angle" is suggesting?

EDIT: I just realized that the problem could be asking for the smallest angle for the projectile to reach the distance of 200ft.That is, it's okay if the projectile overshoots the 200ft. However, wouldn't that mean finding the angle to produce the max distance? So the angle would be 45? But that's different from the correct answer of 19.06...I'm going crazy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AirForceOne! :smile:
AirForceOne said:
… I don't understand the meaning of minimum/maximum. To me, the projectile either hits (200,0) or it doesn't. If the problem gives us the initial velocity, shouldn't there only be one value of the angle to hit (200,0) instead of multiple like the words "minimum/maximum angle" is suggesting?

You should get a quadratic equation for the angle, with two (not "multiple") solutions …

a "smash" (minimum angle) and a "lob" (maximum angle). :wink:

Just few comments:

As Tiny-tim noticed, it is more tennis game example, than cannon one (as an opposition to many textbook excercises about tennis balls traveling at 800m/s)

I am getting sick if my students bring me answers "19.06 degrees" in such cases. You are not able to measure the angle of tennis ball with such precision. 19° would be a bit exaggerated, 20° seems realistic rounding.

Never say something like "19.06 degrees". If you like to use traditional - Babylonian - measure (degrees rather than radians) then stay with traditional units and say: 19°1'
"19.06 degrees" is as inappropriate as you saying you are "6.16 feet tall" rather than "six feet two inches"

I suppose you could use dy=Vo,y + 1/2gt^2 if the cannon is 3 meters high, then dy=-3meters, when the launch hits the ground, but I know there's an easier way.

Galileo, I think, also found that dx=V0^2 times sin(2theta)/g

dx will be 200 meters at some theta angle

200=(100m/s)^2 times sin(2theta)/g

solve for theta.

eh sorry. I just noticed that this doesn't account for the 3 meter height, but maybe you can use that equation somehow. try it. again, IM REALLY SORRY for giving you a false answer.

for fall off cliff models, use sqrt(2y/g) to find time from max height to when the ball goes to the ground which means that you could say that Vy=V0sin(theta) - gt where 0m/s=Vy at max height and that

(time to reach the max height= V0sin(theta)/g) where

dy,max=v0,y(v0,y/g) - 1/2g(v0,y/g)^2

and time to reach max height= V0sin(theta)/g time to go from max height to the ground= sqrt(2(dy,max)/g)

knowing this can be essential to finding the angle if you know range. if you know how long this must be in the air, don't you think that any equation that describes range will determine 200 meters.

so, 200meters= V0cos(theta)(time to reach max height) + V0(time to hit ground)
then plug in the times and you should be able to solve fore theta. the second v0 in the above equation may not be right. What do you think is the velocity equation as it goes down in the x direction? god this problem is crazy.

tiny-tim said:

You should get a quadratic equation for the angle, with two (not "multiple") solutions …

a "smash" (minimum angle) and a "lob" (maximum angle). :wink:

What's the equation...? I just have cos(theta) = v0x/v0 or sin(theta) = v0y/v0.

Thanks.

oh wait, for the second V0 make it V0costheta then solve for theta since it is the same velocity coming down than it is up.

(just got up :zzz: …)
AirForceOne said:
What's the equation...? I just have cos(theta) = v0x/v0 or sin(theta) = v0y/v0.

You need two equations, one for the x direction and one for the y direction, both involving t.

Then you solve them as simultaneous equations (because they use the same t).

Your equations will be the standard https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" equations, with a = 0 for the x direction, and a = -g for the y direction.

Show us what you get. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the concept of minimum launch angle needed?

The minimum launch angle needed is the angle at which an object must be projected in order to achieve a certain distance. It is usually measured from the horizontal and is affected by factors such as initial velocity, air resistance, and gravitational pull.

Why is minimum launch angle needed important in science?

Minimum launch angle needed is important in science because it helps us understand the relationship between angle and distance in projectile motion. It also allows us to calculate the optimal angle for maximum distance or height in real-world scenarios.

How is minimum launch angle needed calculated?

The minimum launch angle needed can be calculated using the formula θ = tan⁻¹(2h/g), where θ is the minimum launch angle, h is the initial height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes no air resistance and a level surface.

What factors affect the minimum launch angle needed?

The minimum launch angle needed is affected by several factors such as initial velocity, air resistance, initial height, and gravitational pull. These factors can change the optimal angle for maximum distance or height in projectile motion.

Can the minimum launch angle needed be negative?

No, the minimum launch angle needed cannot be negative as it is measured from the horizontal. However, the launch angle can be negative if it is measured from the vertical, in which case it represents a downward projection.