Minimum material problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of calculus to calculate the dimensions and minimum material needed for a cylindrical pressure vessel. The formula for volume of a hollow cylinder is given and the importance of considering the thickness of the walls is emphasized. The conversation also touches on the need for specific constraints in order to find the minimum amount of material.
lazypast
Hi
I know calculus can be used to calculate the dimensions of an object and the minimum material which can be used. It is a pressure vessel of a cylindrical shape.
[tex]v= \frac {4 \pi r^3} {3}[/tex]
[tex]A=2 \pi r^2 + 2 \pi rh[/tex]

as the cylinder is hollow the thickness of the walls is found by

[tex]t= \frac {pd} {4 \sigma }[/tex]

sigma = [tex]300x10^6 Nm^{-2}[/tex] (steel i think?)
p = pressure
d = diameter

I have found amount of material can be calculated by surface area multiplied by thickness but would like wo see the minimum amount of material used proved by calculus

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The volume of a ball is not the same as the volume of a cylinder..

2. You have a HOLLOW cylinder; it's surface area is not the same as the surface area of a compact cylinder.

3. The volume of a cylindrical shell, where the shell has a non-zero thickness is NOT given by the "surface area" multiplied multiplied with the thickness.
Why should it be that?

4. In order to find a "minimum amount of material", you need to state what CONDITIONS should hold. Is the height to be constant? Is the net surface area to be constant?
Or what? You haven't clarified the situation at all.

1 of course a silly mistake [tex] V= \pi r^2 h[/tex]
2 a hollow cylinder with closed ends i might add, with uniform thickness. I don't know if being hollow will have a change on the outcome, although the surface area will be nearly double.
3 i would say the inner part of wall is less than the outer wall so if i do that multiplication the value will turn out higher than the actual value.

if i get a formula for the cylinder which I am on about, i would say the actual thickness is the integral of that formula with limits of the outer and inner radius.
4. volume is constant v = [tex]3.3m^3[/tex] although i thought that wouldn't have mattered. r and h variables.
as a second thought i may stay with my original approximation as this seems too demanding

3.The volume of a hollow cylinder is evidently the difference between the volume of the outer cylinder and the "removed" inner cylinder. Is that really too hard to understand?

4. Well, if you do not think that condition matters, then obviously, a cylinder of ZERO volume will use the least amount of material.

4 i thought the actual value of 3.3m^3 didnt matter.
do you actually need values to find an equation or can you replace 3.3m^3 with v??
5 I am nearly certain only mentors give constructive replis

He has just trying to help lazypast, if you don't like it then learn it yourself or ask a mentor directly.

ive clarified a the things which have been asked, and still I am in need of help. i found his post patronising

arildno said:
2. You have a HOLLOW cylinder; it's surface area is not the same as the surface area of a compact cylinder.

3. The volume of a cylindrical shell, where the shell has a non-zero thickness is NOT given by the "surface area" multiplied multiplied with the thickness.
Why should it be that?

I guess the question is something about a thin walled cylindrical pressure vessel. In that case the volume is (to the usual engineering appoximation) the area of the mid-surface plane times the thickness.

It's impossible to make any sense of the question unless you tell us the constraints that apply. Otherwise, the minimum amount of material is obviously for a vessel of size zero.

lazypast said:
4. volume is constant v = [tex]3.3m^3[/tex] although i thought that wouldn't have mattered. r and h variables.

volume, v=constant
radius, r = variable
height, h = variable

i see why you would use the mid point of the wall thickness, i assume that is just thickness/2 ?

edit, are there some constraints that you ask of which i am leaving out?

1. What is the minimum material problem?

The minimum material problem is a mathematical optimization problem that seeks to minimize the use of material in the design of a structure or component while still meeting specified performance requirements.

2. How is the minimum material problem solved?

The minimum material problem is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as linear programming, nonlinear programming, or genetic algorithms. These methods aim to find the optimal solution that uses the least amount of material.

3. What are the benefits of solving the minimum material problem?

Solving the minimum material problem can lead to significant cost savings, as less material is needed to meet performance requirements. It can also reduce the environmental impact of production and improve the overall efficiency and sustainability of a design.

4. What are some real-world applications of the minimum material problem?

The minimum material problem has a wide range of applications, including in the design of structures such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft. It is also used in the development of electronic devices, packaging materials, and even in the optimization of manufacturing processes.

5. What are some challenges associated with solving the minimum material problem?

One of the main challenges of solving the minimum material problem is balancing the trade-off between material usage and performance requirements. It can also be difficult to accurately model and simulate the behavior of complex structures, which can affect the accuracy of the optimization results.