What is the minimum number of red balls in the bag?

In summary: He could also go to the Wolfram Alpha site and enter'plot (1 + binomial(2*n,n) + binomial(3*n,n))/binomial(6*n,n) for n from 1 to 10'or---to get individual values---enter'(1 + binomial(2*n,n) + binomial(3*n,n))/binomial(6*n,n) for n = 3' (or for n = 4 or 5 or 6 ...)
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A bag contains n identical red balls, 2n identical black balls and 3n identical while balls. If probability of drawing n balls of same color is greater than or equal to 1/6, then minimum number of red balls in the bag is equal to?

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]P = \dfrac{^nC_n+^{2n}C_n+^{3n}C_n}{^{6n}C_n} \geq \dfrac{1}{6} [/itex]

But it seems too difficult to solve this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

A bag contains n identical red balls, 2n identical black balls and 3n identical while balls. If probability of drawing n balls of same color is greater than or equal to 1/6, then minimum number of red balls in the bag is equal to?

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]P = \dfrac{^nC_n+^{2n}C_n+^{3n}C_n}{^{6n}C_n} \geq \dfrac{1}{6} [/itex]

But it seems too difficult to solve this equation.

So, what have you tried so far?

Ray Vickson said:
So, what have you tried so far?

Plugging in integral values starting from n=1(I know this sounds stupid, but I'm helpless). The inequality is satisfied by n=1 which seems obvious, though it is incorrect.

utkarshakash said:
Plugging in integral values starting from n=1(I know this sounds stupid, but I'm helpless). The inequality is satisfied by n=1 which seems obvious, though it is incorrect.
Of course if n = 1, you will always draw one ball of the same color in a row !

utkarshakash said:

It is not really incorrect, although you could argue that it does not meet the 'spirit' of the problem. What about some higher values of n? Do they work?

Ray Vickson said:
It is not really incorrect, although you could argue that it does not meet the 'spirit' of the problem. What about some higher values of n? Do they work?

The correct answer is n=5 but it does not satisfy my equation.

utkarshakash said:
The correct answer is n=5 but it does not satisfy my equation.

How can you say n=5 is correct, but at the same time does not satisfy your equation? The only way that can happen is for your equation to be wrong. Who told you that n = 5 is correct?

Ray Vickson said:
How can you say n=5 is correct, but at the same time does not satisfy your equation? The only way that can happen is for your equation to be wrong. Who told you that n = 5 is correct?

This question is from a test paper and the solution mentions that the answer is 5.
It also mentions that the required probability is [itex]\dfrac{3}{^{n+2}C_2} [/itex]. This is where I'm confused. How did they arrive at this peculiar expression?

utkarshakash said:
This question is from a test paper and the solution mentions that the answer is 5.
It also mentions that the required probability is [itex]\dfrac{3}{^{n+2}C_2} [/itex]. This is where I'm confused. How did they arrive at this peculiar expression?

I have no idea how they arrived at that incorrect expression; your answer is correct.

In fact, the answer sheet is even incorrect about the numerics: if you substitute n = 5 into their expression, you get a result < 1/6. The value n = 4 is the largest integer which makes their expression ≥ 1/6. In fact, n = 5 is the smallest integer that makes their expression ≤ 1/6. Maybe they meant "≤ 1/6" in the problem statement?

The value n = 2 is the largest integer that makes your expression ≥ 1/6, and n = 1 is the smallest.

Wrt how to solve the equation in the OP in general, it's clear that the 3nCn is the dominant term in the numerator. So throw away the other two terms and solve that using Stirling's formula. You should get an expression like (3355/2266)n >= 1/6. Then plug in successively lower n in the full equation until you find the boundary.
Of course, since it turns out that the question is flawed and the answer comes out as around n=1 or n=2, that approach is not going to help.

haruspex said:
Wrt how to solve the equation in the OP in general, it's clear that the 3nCn is the dominant term in the numerator. So throw away the other two terms and solve that using Stirling's formula. You should get an expression like (3355/2266)n >= 1/6. Then plug in successively lower n in the full equation until you find the boundary.
Of course, since it turns out that the question is flawed and the answer comes out as around n=1 or n=2, that approach is not going to help.

He could also go to the Wolfram Alpha site and enter
'plot (1 + binomial(2*n,n) + binomial(3*n,n))/binomial(6*n,n) for n from 1 to 10'
or---to get individual values---enter
'(1 + binomial(2*n,n) + binomial(3*n,n))/binomial(6*n,n) for n = 3' (or for n = 4 or 5 or 6 ...)

In probability problems, sometimes it is easier to answer the negation of the question then subtract the result from 1.

FermiAged said:
In probability problems, sometimes it is easier to answer the negation of the question then subtract the result from 1.

Yes, but not in this case. Try it and see!

1. How is the minimum number of red balls determined?

The minimum number of red balls is determined by taking into account the total number of balls and the proportion of red balls in the sample. It is calculated using a statistical formula that takes into consideration the confidence level and margin of error.

2. Why is it important to know the minimum number of red balls?

Knowing the minimum number of red balls is important because it helps ensure that a sample accurately represents the population being studied. It also helps in determining the sample size needed for a study to achieve a desired level of confidence.

3. How does the minimum number of red balls affect the accuracy of a study?

The minimum number of red balls directly affects the accuracy of a study. If the minimum number is not met, the sample may not accurately represent the population, leading to biased results. A larger minimum number of red balls ensures a higher level of accuracy in the study.

4. Can the minimum number of red balls change for different studies?

Yes, the minimum number of red balls can change for different studies depending on the desired level of confidence and margin of error. It can also vary based on the population being studied and the proportion of red balls in the population.

5. How can the minimum number of red balls be determined in a real-world scenario?

In a real-world scenario, the minimum number of red balls can be determined by using a statistical calculator or by consulting a statistician. It can also be estimated by conducting a pilot study to get an idea of the proportion of red balls in the population.