1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum Stopping Distance

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Minimum Stopping Distance

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The minimum stopping distance for a car traveling at a speed of 30m/s is 60m, including the distance traveled during the driver's reaction time of 0.50s.

a.What is the minimum stopping distance for the same car traveling at a speed of 40 m/s?

b. Draw a position-versus-time graph for the motion of the car in part a. Assume the car is at Xo=0m when the driver first sees the emergency situation ahead that calls for a rapid halt.

2. Relevant equations
    For a part:

3. The attempt at a solution

The correct answer for a part is 100m. I'm getting 96.7m. I started with the given and figured the time to be 5.335s, using Vf=Vi+at, and subtracted .5s for the reaction time. Then I used d=((Vi+Vf)/2)*t, which I got 96.7m. I don't think that I'm plugging into the formulas correctly?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The car will not stop in the same time. But its acceleration is constant. Try [itex] v^2 = u^2 +2as[/itex]
  4. Jan 13, 2008 #3
    Okay, I got the acceleration from the given information and then used the equation you have given to solve for a. part. Thanks for the help--it is greatly appreaciated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?