What is the minimum value of x^2 - 2mx in terms of m?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the minimum value of an expression, specifically x^2 - 2mx, and how to approach this problem. The conversation also touches on the concept of derivatives and how they can be used to find the minimum or maximum value of a function. The conversation concludes with a summary of how to find the minimum value by completing the square and identifying the axis of symmetry.
Trail_Builder
hi, I am just tackling some of the harder questions we have to do and I came across this which I have never been told how to solve and my maths teacher too busy teaching the eaiser stuff to other people to expalin this lol, annoying i know, a few of us are in this situation, anyways, hear it is, thnx.

Homework Statement

The expression x^2 - 2mx has a minimum value as x varies

qu) Find the minimum value of x^2 - 2mx
Give your answer in terms of m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea, how to approach this. I have tried reasoning logically how it might work, but came nowhere as I don't know how the expression can have a minimum value :S is the power of 2 a clue? A few of us (in my class) have tried but no-one has the fainted idea. hope you can help

thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
If a function have a maximum or minimum at a certain point, what can you say about the derivative at that point?

Note that this is the PRECALCULUS fourm. Knowledge of derivatives should not be expected
Integral

Last edited by a moderator:
what's a derivative?

A derivative is the rate of change of a quantity. A derivative is an instantaneous rate of change: it is calculated at a specific instant rather than as an average over time.

There is a more elementary way to do problems like this. Complete the square in the expression. Can you handle this? Ie write it as (x-m)^2+SOMETHING. Can you figure out what the SOMETHING is?

Dick said:
There is a more elementary way to do problems like this. Complete the square in the expression. Can you handle this? Ie write it as (x-m)^2+SOMETHING. Can you figure out what the SOMETHING is?

You can do this or find the axis of symmetry and vertex. For parabolas, you don't need to use derivatives

turdferguson said:
You can do this or find the axis of symmetry and vertex. For parabolas, you don't need to use derivatives

By completing the square you're essentially doing that, it will be in vertex form. [tex]y=a(x-h)^2+k[/tex]

Whatever makes (x-h) equal 0 is your x-coordinate, k is your y-coordinate for a min/max of a quadratic

Or at least I believe what I said to be correct, maybe I'm wrong, don't know :-/

Last edited:
if you change the value of "m", with it always be a "happy parabola"?

How do you find the axis of symmetry for the following parabolas?
y=x^2 + 4x -8
y=x^2 + 4x

Then, how would you find the axis of symmetry for your parabola?

Notice that the lowest point for a "happy" parabola is always on this axis. (likewise for a "sad" parabola)

the lowest point is min value let say ax^2+bx+c
the lowest point x-coordinate is /frac{b}{-2a}

Nice try at the latex dragonlorder, welcome to Pf. You forgot [ tex ] brackets though. As said before, the x value at the lowest point is [itex]\frac{-b}{2a}[/itex], to get the lowest value, they are asking for the Y value! So don't forget to substitute your x value back into your equation and get the y value.

Dick said:

would it be (x-m)^2 + m^2?

where would i go from there?

I would say x^2-2mx=(x-m)^2-m^2. Now (x-m)^2 is always greater than or equal to zero, yes? So what is the minimum value?

o yeh oops, lol, my bad

would the minimum value be -m^2 then?

You are so right.

thnx for all the help buddy :D

1. What is the minimum value of a function as x varies?

The minimum value of a function as x varies is the smallest output of the function for all possible input values of x. In other words, it is the lowest point on the graph of the function.

2. How do you find the minimum value of a function as x varies?

To find the minimum value of a function as x varies, you can use a variety of methods such as graphing, algebraic manipulation, or calculus. The most common method is to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero to find the critical points, and then determine which point corresponds to the minimum value.

3. Can a function have more than one minimum value as x varies?

Yes, a function can have more than one minimum value as x varies. This occurs when the graph of the function has multiple local minimum points. However, there can only be one absolute minimum value, which is the lowest point on the entire graph.

4. How does the minimum value change as x varies?

The minimum value of a function can change as x varies depending on the shape of the graph. If the function is continuous and differentiable, the minimum value will occur at the critical point where the derivative is equal to zero. However, if the function is not continuous or has sharp turns, the minimum value may occur at a different point.

5. What is the significance of the minimum value of a function as x varies?

The minimum value of a function as x varies can provide important information about the behavior of the function. It can indicate the lowest point of a real-world phenomenon being modeled by the function, or it can be used to optimize a system by finding the minimum cost, time, or other variable. Additionally, it can help in understanding the overall shape and characteristics of the function.