Calculating Minimum Values for Artificial Gravity in Centripetal Force Wheels

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of artificial gravity and how it could work in a physics paper for school. The idea was to find the minimum rpm and radius for a centripetal force wheel to create a certain percentage of Earth's gravity within a given height from the floor. The conversation delved into the use of calculus and partial derivatives to solve the equation, as well as the importance of using proper units. The conversation ended with the suggestion to read up on the topic and use the formula ##w = \frac{v}{r}## when finding the angular velocity.
julianwitkowski
Hey thanks for reading:)

I'm trying to learn calc and I thought it would help if I could figure out how to do this...

For school I have a physics paper on artificial gravity and how it could work... I didn't post this in HW help because It's more of a written thing and I just got sidetracked by boredom.

Basically my idea is to find the min rpm and min radius for an artificial gravity via centripetal force wheel based on the percentage of Earth gravity you want within said height of the floor.

r = radius
μ = rpm
g = 9.81
n = distance from floor to keep % within

1 = r (π⋅μ /30)2 / g

0.99 = (r-n)(π⋅μ /30)2 / g

I set some parameters in this graph to keep local g within 3meters of the floor be within 99% of Earth.

My algebra and calc still aren't good enough to do this although I am dying to find out.

I can do this easily with derivative problems using only one variable but I don't want to be cheap and set a proportion for radius to rpm, Without doing that I suspect this might have to be solved with partial derivatives but I don't really know.

I solved it with a graph first, here is what it looks like... Just two lines intersecting,

Is there some general format to solve where two lives intersect?

x = radius
y = rpm

1.jpg
I'm not sure what my next step should be here..
I think I need a decent hint to get going..

I don't know if this is going the right direction although wolfram was able to solve it so maybe its on the right track at least... p = percentage difference from 100% g.

1 - [r (π⋅μ /30)2 / g] + [(r-n)(π⋅μ /30)2 / g + p] = 1

If you read this far, thank you.

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd be better off using ω as angular velocity. Then, the centripetal acceleration is given by ##ω^2r##.

Unfortunately, you don't need any calculus to solve this!

Last edited:
Likes julianwitkowski
This actually would be solved with partials, as you said. Here, check this out: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/RelativeExtrema.aspx

Hopefully you've gotten far enough in your calc studies to understand that. Another thing that I want to point out is that you have unit mismatch going on. You're using RPM (revolutions per minute) you want rPS (radians per second). This will allow you to get the proper values.

On the other hand, you can't really find a minimum for both. You can only find a correct value for one with respect for the other.

Likes julianwitkowski
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Another thing that I want to point out is that you have unit mismatch going on. You're using RPM (revolutions per minute) you want rPS (radians per second).

Thanks, but I'm concerned about the equation now. I originally found the equation on wikipedia about a year ago just looking around, you should check out the page for artificial gravity. Seems like a pretty big mistake for wikipedia to keep because they've kept it up this whole time. I'm certainly no experts so I'd have to leave this up to you guys to change...

Thank you for your advice and the link :)

PeroK said:
Unfortunately, you don't need any calculus to solve this!

Well that wouldn't too unfortunate because it's not a calculus course... but I think I see what you mean.

I found μ like this because you can factor out r...

1 - [r (π⋅μ / 30)2 / g] + [(r-n)(π⋅μ / 30)2 / g + p] = 1 ⇒ 900 g p = π² μ² n

However, I don't see how to factor out mu and keep r instead... Any leads?

Last edited:
You have:

##g = w^2r##
##a = w^2(r-n)##

Where a is the acceleration a distance n from the floor. And that's pretty much all you need.

Likes julianwitkowski
PeroK said:
You have:

##g = w^2r##
##a = w^2(r-n)##

Where a is the acceleration a distance n from the floor. And that's pretty much all you need.

Ok well it sounds like I'm making this much more complicated than it needs to be.
I better read up on this because I've never really used this from what I've learned so far.

for w = ##\frac{|v| sin(θ)}{|r|}## theta must be in radians as a description of the velocity?

julianwitkowski said:
for w = ##\frac{|v| sin(θ)}{|r|}## theta must be in radians as a description of the velocity?

##w = \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{v}{r}##

w is in radians per second.

Likes julianwitkowski

What is the concept of Minimum Value / Probably Easy?

Minimum Value / Probably Easy is a statistical measure that is used to determine the likelihood of an event occurring. It is a combination of the minimum value and the probability of the event occurring. This measure is commonly used in decision making and risk analysis.

How is Minimum Value / Probably Easy calculated?

The Minimum Value / Probably Easy value is calculated by multiplying the minimum value of an event by the probability of that event occurring. For example, if the minimum value of an event is 10 and the probability of that event occurring is 0.5, the Minimum Value / Probably Easy would be 5.

What is the significance of Minimum Value / Probably Easy in decision making?

Minimum Value / Probably Easy is an important measure in decision making as it helps in evaluating the potential outcomes of different options. It provides a more comprehensive view of the risk associated with each option, allowing for better decision making.

How does Minimum Value / Probably Easy differ from other statistical measures?

Minimum Value / Probably Easy differs from other statistical measures, such as mean or median, as it takes into account both the minimum value and the probability of an event occurring. This makes it a more accurate measure in evaluating risk and uncertainty.

Can Minimum Value / Probably Easy be used in all types of decision making scenarios?

Yes, Minimum Value / Probably Easy can be used in various decision making scenarios, including personal, business, and scientific decisions. It is a flexible measure that can be applied to different situations where risk and uncertainty need to be considered.