Minimum veritcal distance between two graphs.

In summary, the minimum distance between the cubic y=x^3-x^2-4x+4 and the parabola y=-2x^2+16x-30 is when x is positive and the gradient of the function does not exist.
hobomoe

Homework Statement

Calculate the minimum vertical distance between the cubic y=x^3-x^2-4x+4 and the parabola y=-2x^2+16x-30, when x is positive.

Homework Equations

y=x^3-x^2-4x+4
y=-2x^2+16x-30

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea at all how to work this out, so perhaps someone could walk me through it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Made an attempt:
Since the x intercepts of each graph closest to each other are 2 and 3, the line must cut through 2.5. The coordinates for graphs are now (2.5,y1) and (2.5,y2). Substituting 2.5 into the equations gives the the y coordinates as 3.375 and -2.5. No need to use 2.5 to calculate distance since the gradient doesn't exist, so 3.374+2.5=5.875.

Not sure if this is right, but if it is could someone tell me how to work it out in a more calculus kind of way since this doesn't seem at all like calculus to me.

It's a nice attempt, but not exactly right. You can't make the assumption that since they're between 2 and 3 then it must be 2.5.
Take this graph, [tex]y=\frac{8x-16}{5-2x}[/tex]. It's x-intercept is 2 but it has an asymptote at 2.5 so this is an extreme example of how it doesn't work.

If we have y=f(x) and y=g(x) then we let them equal each other so we have f(x)=g(x) then y=f(x)-g(x), we are finding x where the graphs of f(x) and g(x) are equal, or in other words, where f(x)-g(x)=0. But since in our case they don't cross, we are trying to find x where they are closest to each other. We are trying to find where y is a minimum.

How do you find the x intercept?

There is no x-intercept.
Again, in the function y=f(x)-g(x) where y is a minimum.

Whats g(x)? Is it f(x) for the 2nd equation?

Yep! Sorry I was assuming you knew about functions considering you're doing calculus already.

I do, but we don't use g(x), only f(x). Could you show me the first steps of working to get this? I'm pretty confused still.

Well, what's y=f(x)-g(x) ?

x^3+x^2-20x+34?

Right, so we have the graph y=x3+x2-20x+34. This graph tells us the distance between our function f(x) and g(x) since we are finding the difference between them. So at x=2, it will give us y=6 so that means the distance at x=2 between f(x) and g(x) is 6. How do you find where the minimum distance is?

I have no idea :(

Do you know calculus?

Yea but I'm having a mental block at the moment.

It's really simple! On the graph it tells us the distance between the two original curves f(x) and g(x). At x=2 we have y=6 which tells us the distance between the two curves is 6, at x=3 the distance between them is 10. Obviously the minimum distance between them is then the minimum point on the graph!
If I asked you to find the minimum of the parabola y=x2+2x using calculus, what would you do?

EDIT: Never mind with that, bit late

Don't think about finding what the actual distance is yet, we just want to find the x-value where the minimum occurs, which is where calculus comes into play. After we do this we'll substitute it back into equation to find the distance.

Is the minimum the turning point, so I need to find when the gradient equals zero?

You should be more confident in your abilities, rather:
"The minimum is the turning point, so I need to find when the gradient equals zero!"

:tongue:

f'(x)=3x^2+2x-20
I can't seem to manage factorizing this now, although I may be going in the wrong direction.

Maybe you can't factorize it? Use the quadratic formula.

X=2.27,-2.936

I use the 2.27 since the question asks when X is positive, then substitute X into f(x)-g(x) and that gives me 5.45 (2dp).

You should keep it in surd form. But we were told that x>0, so you can scrap the negative value. Now that you know where the minimum occurs, it's pretty obvious how close you are to the answer :smile:

Just as a note, cubics always cross the x-axis somewhere. Our difference function f(x)-g(x) crossed in the negative values of x, which means that f(x) equals to g(x) at some point (since their difference is 0) so if the question never restricted us to x>0 then the closest distance would be boring and just require us to solve the cubic f(x)-g(x)=0. This would be a harder question too...

I use the 2.27 since the question asks when X is positive, then substitute X into f(x)-g(x) and that gives me 5.45 (2dp).

Don't think you saw before you posted :P

Nope, it just took me longer than 3 minutes to write that down :biggrin:

That's it! You found the answer! Congrats.

Woo! Thank you so much for all your help! :D :D :D

What is the "minimum vertical distance between two graphs"?

The minimum vertical distance between two graphs is the shortest distance between any points on the two graphs along the y-axis. It represents the smallest gap between the two graphs and is used to measure how close or far apart the two graphs are from each other.

Why is the minimum vertical distance between two graphs important?

The minimum vertical distance between two graphs is important because it can help determine the relationship between the two graphs. If the distance is small, it indicates that the two graphs are similar or have a strong correlation. A larger distance may suggest that the two graphs are unrelated or have a weak correlation.

How do you calculate the minimum vertical distance between two graphs?

The minimum vertical distance between two graphs can be calculated by finding the difference between the y-values of the two graphs at the same x-value. This can be done at multiple x-values and the smallest difference is the minimum vertical distance between the two graphs.

Can the minimum vertical distance between two graphs be negative?

No, the minimum vertical distance between two graphs cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it measures the distance between two points on the y-axis.

How does the minimum vertical distance between two graphs relate to the overall distance between the two graphs?

The minimum vertical distance is just one measurement of the distance between two graphs. The overall distance between two graphs can also be calculated by finding the differences between the x-values and y-values of corresponding points on the two graphs. The minimum vertical distance is useful for understanding the vertical relationship between the two graphs, while the overall distance provides a more comprehensive understanding of their relationship.