Minimum voltage supplied to motor windings

In summary, the conversation was about the minimum DC voltage specified in the Hurst motor data sheet and why it is necessary. After further discussion and clarification, it was determined that the minimum voltage may be related to the use of an external control module and that the inverter used for the motor has a range of 10 to 48V DC. The conversation ended with providing a link to the manufacturer's website for the correct motor data sheet and a suggestion to contact the manufacturer for further assistance if needed.
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
Require clarification of minimum voltage to motor windings
I have seen the following specifications in the Hurst motor data sheet.
1611638499522.png

i have confusion on the Minimum DC voltage to the motor windings. It says as 10Vdc, but even if i give less than 10V it should not damage the motor windings. I can understand the upper voltage if i cross it may damage the windings, but why minimum voltage? Please help.

Attachments

• 1611638468022.png
    1611638468022.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 110
Engineering news on Phys.org
It may be that there is some condition that you have not specified.
Can you please provide the model number and a link to the source of the data.

PhysicsTest said:
Summary:: Require clarification of minimum voltage to motor windings

I have seen the following specifications in the Hurst motor data sheet.
View attachment 276868
i have confusion on the Minimum DC voltage to the motor windings. It says as 10Vdc, but even if i give less than 10V it should not damage the motor windings. I can understand the upper voltage if i cross it may damage the windings, but why minimum voltage? Please help.
That's an odd format for a data sheet. Real motor data sheets should have more detail, like torque curves, winding resistance and inductance, etc. It looks more like a description to me. Maybe they are saying it isn't a good choice if your application doesn't have at least 10V?

Baluncore said:
It may be that there is some condition that you have not specified.
Can you please provide the model number and a link to the source of the data.
I have attached the data sheet.

Attachments

• mo.pdf
    628.1 KB · Views: 233
It appears that those specifications are for the External Control Module that is an option for use with the motor. "The module is compatible with external motor drives using a 10 to 48Vdc power supply"

PhysicsTest said:
I have attached the data sheet.
Notice at the top of page 2 it says "Sample Motor Data Sheet". You want the real motor data sheet for your PN.

Try starting here, or contact the manufacturer if you can't find it online.
http://www.hurst-motors.com/Spec_Sheets.html

Anyway, the answer to your original question is you can ignore it, I think.

The motor it is an induction motor of 60Hz 2poles[3600 rpm]20 V 180 W rated[according to a table attached].
The supply voltage it is from an inverter. The input of the inverter is from 10 to 48 V d.c. and the output 20V [rms] three phases].
The inverter could maintain the output voltage if the input voltage would be not less than 10V but not more than 48 V d.c.

Likes PhysicsTest

1. What is the minimum voltage required to operate a motor?

The minimum voltage required to operate a motor varies depending on the type and size of the motor. Generally, most motors require a minimum voltage of 110-120 volts for residential use and 220-240 volts for industrial use.

2. Can a motor be damaged if the minimum voltage is not supplied?

Yes, if the minimum voltage is not supplied, the motor may not have enough power to operate properly. This can cause the motor to overheat and potentially damage the internal components.

3. How does the minimum voltage affect the speed of a motor?

The minimum voltage directly affects the speed of a motor. If the voltage is too low, the motor will not have enough power to reach its maximum speed. This can result in slower operation and reduced efficiency.

4. What happens if the voltage supplied to the motor is higher than the minimum requirement?

If the voltage supplied to the motor is higher than the minimum requirement, the motor may operate at a higher speed than intended. This can cause the motor to overheat and potentially damage the internal components. It is important to always supply the motor with the recommended voltage for optimal performance and longevity.

5. Can the minimum voltage requirement change over time?

Yes, the minimum voltage requirement for a motor can change over time due to wear and tear on the motor's components. It is important to regularly check the manufacturer's specifications for the minimum voltage requirement and make any necessary adjustments to ensure proper operation of the motor.