Minkowski & Einstein: Hyperbolic Geometry Breakthrough?

In summary: General, all the Riemann stuff.Minkowski diagrams are used to describe the curved spacetime in general relativity.The Lorentz transform is a hyperbolic rotation of Minkowski spacetime.Cheers
Grimble
Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Grimble said:
Thank you, that is very interesting and I can understand much of it. :smile:

But can someone tell me if it was the application of hyperbolic geometry that was Minkowski's breakthrough in depicting Einstein's theory?
Hyperbolic geometry was discovered and studied during the 19th century. Minkowski’s contribution was making the connection between Einstein’s work and what had previously been an interesting abstract mathematical concept with no known practical application.

Likes Michael Price
I thought that might have been the case - but how did Einstein respond to his old teachers discovery with regard to his theory?

Grimble said:
I thought that might have been the case - but how did Einstein respond to his old teachers discovery with regard to his theory?
Enthusiastically, once he recognized the power of Minkowski’s approach (although he was initially skeptical). And of course it was an essential step on the way to General Relativity.

Likes Klystron and Michael Price
Nugatory said:
Enthusiastically, once he recognized the power of Minkowski’s approach (although he was initially skeptical). And of course it was an essential step on the way to General Relativity.
In fact Minkowski was working on special relativity, indpendently, when Einstein beat him to publication. Minkowski was shocked when Einstein's papers hit the world, especially since he'd regarded Einstein as a "lazy dog" - but it did mean he was ready with his own reworking of SR with the development of "spacetime" as a unified entity. (Not anything to do with hyperbolic geometry, BTW. Minkowski spacetime is strictly flat.)

Grimble said:
Was it about that that he said "I no longer recognise my own theory! " or was it something else?

So
Michael Price said:
Minkowski spacetime is strictly flat
How does that fit with the insistence on describing everything in terms of hyperbolic geometry?

Grimble said:
So
How does that fit with the insistence on describing everything in terms of hyperbolic geometry?
It doesn't fit. Minkowski space, and spacetime, are both flat. Hyperbolic is curved, as is hyperspherical.

Nugatory said:
Hyperbolic geometry was discovered and studied during the 19th century. Minkowski’s contribution was making the connection between Einstein’s work and what had previously been an interesting abstract mathematical concept with no known practical application.
So Minkowski made the connection between hyperbolic geometry and special relativity - so far, so good...
Michael Price said:
but it did mean he was ready with his own reworking of SR with the development of "spacetime" as a unified entity. (Not anything to do with hyperbolic geometry, BTW. Minkowski spacetime is strictly flat.)
Michael Price said:
It doesn't fit. Minkowski space, and spacetime, are both flat. Hyperbolic is curved, as is hyperspherical.
So what then is the connection between Special Relativity, Minkowski space, Minkowski diagrams and hyperbolic geometry?

epenguin said:
Was it about that that he said "I no longer recognise my own theory! " or was it something else?

"Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself anymore."

Quoted in P A Schilpp, Albert Einstein, Philosopher-Scientist (Evanston 1949).

Likes epenguin
Grimble said:
So Minkowski made the connection between hyperbolic geometry and special relativity - so far, so good...So what then is the connection between Special Relativity, Minkowski space, Minkowski diagrams and hyperbolic geometry?
The first three are connected - but not with hyperbolic geometry.

Very good so just where does hyperbolic geometry fit in?

Grimble said:
Very good so just where does hyperbolic geometry fit in?
General, all the Riemann stuff.
I struggled with it
@Michael Price can expand I think. The maths is tough

The Lorentz transform is a hyperbolic rotation of Minkowski spacetime.

Cheers

There is confusion over the use of "hyperbolic" here, because the term has two completely unrelated meanings.
1) Hyperbolic space or hyperbolic geometry refers to space with a negative curvature. This has nothing to do with special relativity or Minkowski spacetime which has zero curvature ( "flat"). Curved spacetime is part of general relativity, not special relativity.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_geometry2) Hyperbolic functions, such as sinh, cosh, tanh, which are analogous to the trigonometric functions. These functions are used in special relativity to express Lorentz transformations.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_function

• Informative
Likes Klystron

1. What is the significance of Minkowski and Einstein's hyperbolic geometry breakthrough?

Minkowski and Einstein's hyperbolic geometry breakthrough revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It provided a new mathematical framework for describing the universe, which was crucial for the development of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How did Minkowski and Einstein's work differ from previous theories of geometry?

Previous theories of geometry, such as Euclidean and Riemannian geometry, were based on the idea of a flat, two-dimensional surface. However, Minkowski and Einstein's work introduced the concept of a four-dimensional spacetime, which allowed for the curvature of space and time.

3. What are the key concepts of hyperbolic geometry?

Hyperbolic geometry is based on the idea of non-Euclidean geometry, where the parallel postulate is not true. This means that in hyperbolic space, there can be multiple parallel lines through a single point. Other key concepts include the hyperbolic distance formula and the Poincaré disk model.

4. How has Minkowski and Einstein's work influenced modern physics?

Minkowski and Einstein's work has had a profound impact on modern physics. Their theories of hyperbolic geometry and spacetime curvature have been integral to the development of general relativity and our understanding of gravity. It has also played a crucial role in the study of black holes and the expansion of the universe.

5. What are some real-world applications of hyperbolic geometry?

Hyperbolic geometry has many practical applications in fields such as architecture, computer graphics, and navigation. It is also used in the analysis of networks and complex systems, such as the internet and social networks. Additionally, hyperbolic geometry has been applied in the study of biological systems and the brain.