What is the Minkowski Metric and How Does it Relate to Special Relativity?

In summary: Geometrical Methods book.] I don't think you need to rush into the GR book just yet.Yes, I think you should try to focus on the basic courses in the beginning. You would want to pace yourself, and try to get a sense of how much depth you want to go into. Some people like to read a lot of stuff, and others like to do more problems. The former seems to work better for me. I'm not sure what you mean by "branching off into the other areas that i'll need to know for an undergraduate degree course." The whole idea of a degree program is to provide a structure for that. It might be better to get a taste
A stern warning about "on-line books", &c.

aeroboyo said:
yes I've ordered the 1st edition of spacetime physics used from amazon... from 1966! I hope it doesn't fall to pieces in the mail.

Don't be distressed when you get it and see that it is written in the stark typefaces popular for textbooks in dark days of the Cold War, complete with the "duck and cover" cognitive dissonance resulting from a plethora of crude cartoons. If you've ever seen Soviet textbooks from that era, you know that the combatants had an unpleasant tendency to mimic each other's worse characteristics, and not only in textbook publishing. (There was a long and fascinating New Yorker piece on the bizarre saga of cold war textbook propaganda published some 15 years ago.) Anyway, despite this rather gothic appearance, it's actually a great book and very friendly. In fact, so friendly one might easily underestimate the depth of what it offers the reader!

aeroboyo said:
I believe Boas does cover tensor analysis, according to the TOC:

OK, great, probably won't actually do you any HARM to see this. My only concern is that students can get the impression that this is hard subject when they see there is an entire chapter late in the book...

aeroboyo said:
Did einstein invent tensors as a way to describe GR or did he just realize that it was the best language to describe it in?

Einstein didn't invent "tensors", or more properly, "multilinear operators" and in particular, bilinear forms. These concepts were used much earlier by generations of mathematicians, including Gauss, Lagrange, Hamilton, Cayley, Sylvester, Frobenius, Riemann, Ricci-Curbastro, and Levi-Civita. The term "tensor" was introduced by Hamilton, but "tensor analysis" in the sense of index gymnastics is due to the Italian school, especially Ricci and his student Levi-Civita. Tullio Levi-Civita was a contemporary of Einstein and together with other leading mathematicians, including Elie Cartan, David Hilbert, and Hermann Weyl, produced most of the first known solutions of the EFE in the years 1915-1925.

In principle, Einstein was exposed to the Riemannian geometry at the Polytechnic in Zurich, but apparently he cut most of his classes and relied on the meticulous notes of his friend Marcel Grossmann at exam time! I would NOT recommend following his example in this respect, by the way, and Einstein himself said pretty much the same thing in his later years. Anyway, it was probably Grossmann who first told Einstein that the mathematical foundation needed for the relativistic classical field theory of gravitation he began searching for circa 1913 was Riemannian geometry, a then arcane subject for which no textbook existed. Grossmann tried to learn it (from Levi-Civita) so that he could teach it to Einstein, but this was not, as they say, his field, and he found it tough sledding, and the lack of good textbooks to study in fact led Einstein and Grossmann to make some very serious errors which blocked their progress. Fortunately, by 1915 Einstein was in close contact with Klein's school at Goettingen, where during several visits he benefited from conversations with Hilbert, Minkowski, and Noether (in particular).

As an aside: even mathematicians may not fully appreciate the extent to which invariant theory and algebraic geometry, as well as differential geometry, played a key role in the final stages of the discovery of gtr, with the input of Hilbert and Noether. A few years later, in the early 1920s, Cartan and Weyl also became involved in the early development of gtr. With the direct involvement of Hilbert, Cartan, and Weyl, Einstein had the assistance of (arguably) the three leading mathematicians in the world, and three of the greatest mathematicians of all time. There just might be a contemporary lesson here: for many decades, the leading mathematicians showed far more interest in gtr than did the leading physicists. I suspect that subjects like string theory and higher dimensional categories may be of greater interest to mathematicians than physicists for many decades, until appropriate applications begin to emerge or physical theories become testable.

Anyway, the point I am somehow trying to express here is that since you haven't yet mastered gtr, you can't possibly appreciate what is most important to learn as background. I am trying to tell you that of all the things you might want to brush up on, "tensor analysis" is the least important topic I can think of. Much more important to read up on linear operators and their matrix representations, plus vector space bases and change of basis, plus algebraic invariants on linear operators like characteristic polynomials and their roots (the "eigenvalues" of the operator), if you want to be systematic--- these things are more related to the algebraic underpinnings of the subject.

aeroboyo said:
I can see how useful tensors would be in describing natural laws, since they're invarient in different spaces and coordinate systems.

No. This would be like saying that "vectors are invariant". You might have meant that "tensor EQUATIONS are invariant under diffeomorphisms" (true), but the components of vectors and tensors are certainly not invariant, not even under rotations (a simple special case of diffeomorphisms).

I'm going to stop yakking about math now, since I am with daverz on a crucial pedagogical point: physical intuition is more important for physics students. You should listen to me when I say that, because I was trained as a mathematician, not a physicist :-/ so this judgement does not reflect narrow-minded professional parochialism.

But I feel I must stop you when you say this:

aeroboyo said:
Another thing I've learned from an online book on linear algebra is that you can prove that in any R^n space, a line is always straight and a plane is always flat... the proof involves a trig identity that says the shortest distance between two points is always a straight line. Preety fascinating stuff. I was wondering if a 2 dimensional linear surface (a plane) was actually 'flat' in 4D spacetime... i guess it must be.

Sigh... "on-line book", eh? Since you didn't give any other information, I have no idea who wrote this "book" or whether the author has a clue what he is talking about; if so, your description of what the author wrote must have been somewhat mangled.

Aeroboyo, you should always be very careful about what you find on-line (including this forum, although I am confident that you have gotten so far some good advice here).

At least until very recently, textbooks are much MUCH more carefully vetted, in many ways: they are almost always written by tenured faculty at respectable universities, who have pursued a successful research career; this weeds out almost all cranks right there. In addition, the best academic publishers obtain extensive referee reports from third party experts (other professors at other universities) on textbooks, and often hire still more professors to try out a new textbook in their own classrooms, and may hire eagle eyed graduate students to do all the exercises to check for errors. Standard physics textbooks like Taylor and Wheeler, for example, have been studied by generations of smart students who have gone on to successful academic careers, so they have been gone over line by line with extraordinary care.

In contrast, "on-line books" have probably been read by, at best, their author, who probably has not even caught the obvious typographical errors (like misspellings), much less easily overlooked sign errors, much less subtle conceptual errors. Indeed, the author might even be totally clueless, particularly if he has no academic training whatever (although academic training is no guarantee that a given author is credible or even honest).

OK, you probably realized all this, but I think it needs to be said nonetheless.

Chris Hillman

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/

by Jim Hefferson, doesn't look cranky to me... so my edition of space physics is a piece of history... interesting. I'm looking foreward to learning about rapidity, if i can only learn about it from some cold war era text then it must be important!

I get the impression Einstein wasn't that good at maths...

PS are there any members of this forum that would be considered 'world greats' at maths or physics? Just curious to know where those gems congregate. Also i actually posted a thread today in general chat about 'how to tell if a theory is cranky or not'... it was interesting, people were saying that no theory can be proven, even if the predictions that it makes are proven true... Makes you realize that even our best theories are just mathematical models.

Last edited:
Hi, aeroboyo,

aeroboyo said:

OK, you should probably get in the habit of citing webpages like this:

http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/ (Jim Hefferon, Mathematics, Saint Michael's College, Colchester, VT)

In the case of very well known universities, like MIT, you can safely abbreviate and leave out the geography. But try not to misspell names (no "s" in Hefferon). With more work, you could figure out whether he is the same as this Ph.D. recipient: http://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/html/id.phtml?id=53531
Having a earned a Ph.D. and having a faculty job (and writing about a topic such as linear algebra not known for attracting cranks, although experience teaches me that absolutely anything is possible!) are all encouraging signs, so I would be inclined to assume you would not endangered by continuing to read this book.

Well, since you almost asked: a linear algebra book which I think is both unusually fun and particularly well suited for developing geometric intuition is Fekete, Real Linear Algebra.

aeroboyo said:
I get the impression Einstein wasn't that good at maths...

I wish to avoid debunking in this forum, but FYI, this is an urban legend which has been popular for many decades. Its origins appear to be unknown, but I can assure you that it has absolutely no foundation in fact. This should not be taken as "evidence" for another, less common but equally fallacious legend which holds that to the contrary, Einstein was not only good at math, he was a mathematician! (Or a philosopher.)

There are many very very bad books about Einstein; some good ones are:

Albrecht Folsing, Albert Einstein, Viking, 1997, a good general audience biography.

Abraham Pais, Subtle Is the Lord: The Science and Life of Albert Einstein, Oxford University Press, 1983, the classic scientific biography by a physicist who was acquainted with AE in his declining years.

Peter Galison, Einstein's Clocks, Poincare's Maps: Empires of Time, Norton, 2001, an unusually insightful study by a historian of science.

I hope you have a public library where you live!

aeroboyo said:
PS are there any members of this forum that would be considered 'world greats' at maths or physics? Just curious to know where those gems congregate.

I think the only answer one could give to THAT would be http://www.arxiv.org/ Not that this helps you, because there are more flakes than geniuses posting papers there! No surprise there, I presume.

But fear not, if you simply want to meet some smart/interesting persons, plan on getting into a good grad school someday. Most large departments (and many small departments) contain some leaders in their fields, but the best thing about the best departments is the students (and even the faculty are likely to agree on this point!).

aeroboyo said:
Makes you realize that even our best theories are just mathematical models.

Exactly. Or perhaps more accurately: the purpose of our best theories is to produce mathematical models in order that they may be subjected to unmerciful experimental testing and theoretical criticism. A theory like gtr which has dominated its field for decades tends to be the battle scarred veteran of many a short but brutal skirmish, not to mention some protracted wars of annihilation.

(I intend to avoid psychoceramics in this forum, so I haven't seen the thread you mentioned.)

Chris Hillman

Chris Hillman said:
Well, since you almost asked: a linear algebra book which I think is both unusually fun and particularly well suited for developing geometric intuition is Fekete, Real Linear Algebra.

Antal E. Fekete's Real Linear Algebra (1985) is a rather unique book [apparently influenced by Steenrod] with a discussion of classifications of linear operators and of "higher order" hyperbolic and trigonometric functions.

On the reference page, there is an announcement of a new book "Gateway Geometry" (1986) where "real vector spaces with a Lorentz metric" "is treated in detail"... I have never found that book [or any other reference to it] and my email to the author [many years ago... possibly around the time of his becoming an emeritus professor] was never answered. A google search for him now reveals a lot of his recent activity as an economist.

A recurring theme in this thread seems to be that 'geometric insight' is very important for a physicist. I'm assuming Frankel's Geometry of Physics is all about gaining geometric insight... although as I've said i won't be able to work through that text until i cover some basic maths topics.

Last edited:
aeroboyo said:
A recurring theme in this thread seems to be that 'geometric insight' is very important for a physicist. I'm assuming Frankel's Geometry of Physics is all about gaining geometric insight... although as I've said i won't be able to work through that text until i cover some basic maths topics.

Frankel will be helpful LATER in more advanced ways to formulate physics with geometrical ideas. For special relativity, the key is to work with the geometry of Minkowski spacetime... which does not require Frankel. The numerous relativity texts that I mentioned earlier focus on the geometry of Minkowski spacetime... and, arguably, provide more relativistic and more physical insight than any mathematical methods book.

(Note that Minkowski was the one who introduced the GEOMETRICAL VIEWPOINT in relativity. Although Einstein's original special relativity papers emphasized invariance, it did not emphasize (or recognize) the underlying geometry. In fact, it took Einstein some time to accept and embrace the geometrical viewpoint.

The reason I bring this up is that most textbook introductions have followed Einstein's presentation, and might merely mention the geometrical structure introduced by Minkowski. I think [I hope] it is becoming more appreciated that the geometrical "spacetime" approach is better than the "moving frames of reference" approach. I'm not saying that Einstein is wrong... certainly, read and understand Einstein... but try to also interpret with Minkowski.)

Last edited:
I've had a look at the TOC for that Real Linear Algebra text on amazon. It looks preety complicated, i don't think i could understand it yet (seems like its more inclided towards pure mathematicians).

Last edited:
Did Antal E. Fekete change careers?

Hi, Robphy,

robphy said:
Antal E. Fekete's Real Linear Algebra (1985) is a rather unique book [apparently influenced by Steenrod] with a discussion of classifications of linear operators and of "higher order" hyperbolic and trigonometric functions.

That's the one! While I admire the Steenrod algebra (I have often mentioned this stuff, which includes the higher order trig you mentioned, in connection with the well known Moebius action by the Lorentz group on the celestial sphere), here I actually had in mind the fact that Fekete takes unusual care to discuss dilations, shears and suchlike.

robphy said:
On the reference page, there is an announcement of a new book "Gateway Geometry" (1986) where "real vector spaces with a Lorentz metric" "is treated in detail"... I have never found that book [or any other reference to it] and my email to the author [many years ago... possibly around the time of his becoming an emeritus professor] was never answered. A google search for him now reveals a lot of his recent activity as an economist.

Huh, weird stuff, but I am not sure they are the same person. Fekete is a pretty common Hungarian name (dunno about the "Antal E." part) and spot checking the stuff brought up by Google, I couldn't find any evidence that the economist ever wrote any books on linear algebra (although a background in linear algebra would certainly be plausible for a mathematical economist!). To the contrary, I seem to recall learning soon after I discovered the book in question that the author had died soon after its publication. That would certainly explain the non-appearance of the second book and the non-reply to your inquiry. A radical career change might explain the former but not, I should think, the latter. Does anyone know more about this?

Chris Hillman

Read the back cover
"Seach inside this book"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0824772385/?tag=pfamazon01-20
"Antal E. Fekete is a Professor of Mathematics at Memorial University in Newfoundland, Canada"http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/fekete/main.htm
says "Antal E. Fekete is Professor Emeritus from the the Memorial University of Newfoundland in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics."

a review of the book:
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-9890(198701)94%3A1%3C86%3ARLA%3E2.0.CO%3B2-5

(I might make another attempt to email him.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Digging for Fekete

robphy said:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0824772385/?tag=pfamazon01-20
"Antal E. Fekete is a Professor of Mathematics at Memorial University in Newfoundland, Canada"
http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/fekete/main.htm
says "Antal E. Fekete is Professor Emeritus from the the Memorial University of Newfoundland in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics."

OK, I'm convinced! There must be a story here, but I have no idea what it might be.

I guess many here will recall the late Alexander Abian of "blow up the Moon!" fame. But not everyone will know, I imagine, that as younger man he wrote an unobjectionable monograph on set theory, or that he was, as I have heard, an engaging and capable teacher in real life even while enthusiastically promoting his rather unique ideas via UseNet! And, speaking of algebras, there was also the example of the late Pertti Lounesto.

Chris Hillman

Well, there are tons of linear algebra books out there. I just got the book Linear Algebra Through Geometry. It's quite elementary, "the student need only know basic high-school algebra and geometry and introductory trigonometry". Another book along the same lines, but attacking from the geometry end is A Vector Space Approach to Geometry.

Here's another "math methods" book worthy of mention:
Bamberg and Sternberg "A Course in Mathematics for Students of Physics"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521406498/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It has a fascinating array of mathematical topics with immediate [but possibly surprising] physical applications. It's not an easy read. (I like the mathematical discussions of Maxwell's Equations and Relativity, Circuit Theory, Optics, and Thermodynamics.)

is that 'A course in Mathematics for Students of Physics' a good thing to read after Boas? It seems like it covers different topics than Boas. Is it a similar book to Frankels?

aeroboyo said:
is that 'A course in Mathematics for Students of Physics' a good thing to read after Boas? It seems like it covers different topics than Boas. Is it a similar book to Frankels?

Here's a review (by W. Burke)
http://www.ucolick.org/~burke/forms/bamberg.html
(BTW, was this Bamberg-Sternberg text used for an intro course at Harvard? http://www.ma.huji.ac.il/~karshon/teaching/1996-97/mechanics/topics.html claims "yes". Is this true?)

Read Boas first. Maybe keep Arfken or something similar nearby.

Then, it's your choice to read some or all (or none) from among [not in any particular order]:
Szekeres, Geroch, Frankel, Bamberg/Sternberg, Burke, ...
Then,
Choquet-Bruhat/Dewitt-Morette, Nakahara, Thirring, Richtmyer, [Morse/Feshbach, Courant/Hilbert], [Abraham/Marsden, Arnold], ...

I think this discussion of books needs to be split off to another thread elsewhere. o:)
These books are certainly overkill for this thread "Minkowski space: basics". Boas is probably sufficient to prepare you for the "basics".
I'm going to stop now.

Bamberg & Sternberg does seem to be highly esteemed by those who already know the subjects covered. I never found it useful.

robphy if i read all those books i'd be ready to write my pHd thesis.

Chris Hillman said:
And, speaking of algebras, there was also the example of the late Pertti Lounesto.

Even though Lounesto's internet personality was over the top, he rarely made (mathematical) claims that were incorrect. He was more subdued in-person - I hung out with him a bit at a two-week summer school in '95.

Hi all, I agree with Rob that this thread has gotten somewhat out of control.

aeroboyo said:
robphy if i read all those books i'd be ready to write my pHd thesis.

Well, just make sure you spend time reading good books rather than talking about reading good books! (I'm not helping, I know.) In that spirit, I reiterate that IMO Boas (for the math background) and Geroch (for the pictures and general spirit of the thing) are the two books you most need to read now. Don't worry about the others--- you might never read them, and that's fine. There are thousands of worthy books on physics--- no one can read them all. The point, as I see it, is to read enough to be able to follow along with (or even participate in) the Great Adventure of scientific research.

So you're planning to go for a Ph.D. already, eh? Well, good for you, but it's a long slog, so take it one book at a time. It would probably true to retort, by the way, that one would hope that a Ph.D. would study many dozens of graduate level textbooks and monographs, and probably equally true that the very best Ph.D. theses probably don't result from the kind of systematic "road into the wilderness" approach I favor. Regardless, I think you should focus on reading a few good books and having fun with physics.

Daverz said:
Bamberg & Sternberg does seem to be highly esteemed by those who already know the subjects covered. I never found it useful.

Well, it depends on what kind of physics/math interests you. I happen to think circuit theory is a heck of a kick, so if I didn't already know this stuff from other books, I would have been fascinated by their treatment explicitly using cohomology. Beautiful stuff, especially for those interested in algebraic graph theory.

George Jones said:
Even though Lounesto's internet personality was over the top, he rarely made (mathematical) claims that were incorrect. He was more subdued in-person - I hung out with him a bit at a two-week summer school in '95.

Just for the record, I agree that Pertti knew his stuff!--- which is an essential saving grace if you insist on listing goofs made by your colleagues. No doubt he would have been all over the post I recently saw somewhere in PF announcing (rather dubiously, I thought) a "new" generalization of the complex number field.

Chris Hillman