Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minkowski Space with object

1. Mar 28, 2009 #1
    Let's say there is a small object heading towards Earth (it will burn up). It is first observed at:
    [tex]x^{\\mu}=[x^{1},x^{2},x^{2},x^{4}]=[x_{0},y_{0},z_{0},t_{0}][/tex]
    with a velocity:
    [tex]V_{v}=[v_{1},v_{2},v_{3},v_{4}][/tex]

The metric is:
    [tex]ds^{2} = dx^{2} + dy^{2} + dz^{2} -c^{2}*dt^{2}[/tex]
    [tex]g_{\\mu\\v} = \\left(\\begin{array}{cccc}<BR>1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\\\<BR>0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\\\<Br>0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\\\<BR>\\\\<BR>0 & 0 & 0 & 1<BR>\\end{array})\\right[/tex]

Affinity is:
    [tex]\\Gamma^{\\rho}{\\mu\\v} = 0[/tex]

Riemann Curvature tensor is:
    [tex]R^{\\rho}{\\mu\\v\\sigma} = 0[/tex]

Ricci Tensor is:
    [tex]R{\\mu\\sigma} = 0[/tex]

My Question is how do you make a geodesic path from the metric and initial velocity?

[tex]V_{v} = x^{\\mu}*g_{\\mu\\v}[/tex] and make incremental steps?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2009 #2
  4. Mar 29, 2009 #3
    Sorry for the abomination. I know that Minkowski Space has no external gravitational forces acting on it.

5. Mar 29, 2009 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can still edit post #1. Looks like you need to remove a lot of \ symbols.

6. Mar 29, 2009 #5
    You indicated an interest in a numerical solution. I did a Scilab solution for the Schwarzschild metric. Unfortunately I compressed the file using bz2 on Linux and my present (vista) decoder has a problem. If you are interested I will have my Linux machine back up in two weeks or perhaps somebody else will separate out the parts; the mash-up is probably my fault.
    I never checked the compression or enhanced the program since nobody ever responded to my scilab post.
    Some orbits are shown in the eps file at:
    http://www.plaidheron.com/ray/temp/ [Broken]
    drdth_f-example.eps
    Ray

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook