Minkowski/Twin Paradox: Examining an Objection to STR

• Thread starter mrbeddow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the conversation discusses an objection to Special Theory of Relativity (STR) which argues that the theory contradicts the frame-invariance of physical age differences. The objection presents a scenario involving three piles of radioactive substances, where STR predicts that Pile 3 is both younger and older than Pile 2, which is deemed absurd. The conversation also includes a request to set up a Minkowski space-time diagram and a comment on the objection. However, the flaw in the objection lies in its misinterpretation of what STR actually predicts and does not take into consideration its limitations.
mrbeddow
2. Consider the following objection to STR: “Since time-dilation and length-contraction are reciprocal, STR actually contradicts the frame-invariance of physical age differences, that is, the plain physical facts. For instance, so there can be no ambiguity about “age comparisons”, let us replace “Bob” and “Bubba” in Kosso’s version of the twin paradox (“Mitch’s Paradox”) by identical masses of a radioactive substance, call them respectively “Pile1” and “Pile2”, always at rest with respect to one another, and let us replace “Richard” with a third mass, “Pile3”, moving at a constant velocity v relative to piles 1 and 2 (in the positive x direction) and passing Pile 1 (event A) before Pile 2 (event B). Assume that at event A Piles 1 and 3 have exactly the same number of undecayed particles left (they are the same age, an invariant physical fact). Then at event B, STR says both that Pile 3 has more particles left than Pile 2 (i.e. Pile 3 is “younger”) and, by reciprocity, that Pile 2 has more particles left than Pile 3 (i.e. Pile 3 is “older”), which is absurd. Thus, however useful STR may be in predicting experimental results, it cannot be conceptually coherent.”

(a) Set up a minkowski space-time diagram (with one spatial dimension) indicating the world lines and sample simultaneity lines of the three piles and showing events A and B. Do this, however, by taking Pile 2 as at rest in the “stationary frame” of the diagram.

(b) Comment on the above objection to STR. (1-2 pp)

(I'm afraid I have no attempt at a solution because I am not exactly sure what Mitch's paradox, or, rather, the "Twins Paradox" entails. Otherwise, I can handle representing this with a Minkowski diagram...I think...I am a philosophy major...)

Physics news on Phys.org
*edit* I believe the commentary on this problem would consist of something like, "Well, this is all well and good but it's not taking into consideration the fact of STR's inconsideration of the possibility of traveling beyond the speed of light. STR is, as all theories are, susceptible to breaking down with more and more specific or far too general instances of it's application. So really, it is just speaking to what STR takes into account tongue-in-cheek."

You need to focus on what SR says and what SR does not say; that is the basic flaw in the objection (which is the most common flaw in any objection to SR).

SR does not discount anything "tongue-in-cheek".

I would say that the problem is in the statement:
Then at event B, STR says both that Pile 3 has more particles left than Pile 2 (i.e. Pile 3 is “younger”) and, by reciprocity, that Pile 2 has more particles left than Pile 3 (i.e. Pile 3 is “older”),

This ties in with what turin said. Does SR actually make this prediction?

I didn't think that we were supposed to give solutions. Oh well.

1. What is the Minkowski/Twin Paradox?

The Minkowski/Twin Paradox is a thought experiment in special relativity that involves twins, one of whom stays on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. According to the theory of relativity, the traveling twin will experience time dilation, causing them to age slower than the twin on Earth. This results in a situation where the traveling twin will return to Earth younger than their twin, leading to a paradox.

2. How does the Minkowski/Twin Paradox challenge special relativity?

The Minkowski/Twin Paradox challenges special relativity by suggesting that the theory's predictions of time dilation and length contraction are contradictory. If the traveling twin experiences time dilation, they should age slower and therefore return to Earth younger than their twin. However, from the perspective of the traveling twin, it is the Earth-bound twin who is moving at high speeds and should therefore age slower. This seeming contradiction is known as the paradox.

3. What is the resolution to the Minkowski/Twin Paradox?

The resolution to the Minkowski/Twin Paradox lies in understanding that the situation is not symmetrical. The traveling twin experiences acceleration and deceleration, which breaks the symmetry between the two twins. This acceleration causes the traveling twin to experience time dilation, while the Earth-bound twin does not. Therefore, when the traveling twin returns to Earth, they will be younger than their twin, consistent with the predictions of special relativity.

4. Can the Minkowski/Twin Paradox be tested in real life?

No, the Minkowski/Twin Paradox cannot be tested in real life as it involves traveling at speeds approaching the speed of light, which is currently not possible with our current technology. However, the effects of time dilation and length contraction have been observed and verified through experiments with high-speed particles and atomic clocks.

5. How does the Minkowski/Twin Paradox impact our understanding of time and space?

The Minkowski/Twin Paradox challenges our intuitive understanding of time and space. It highlights the fact that time and space are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This paradox also demonstrates the fundamental principles of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which have been confirmed by numerous experiments and have greatly influenced our understanding of the universe.