Can Minkowski's Inequality Prove Summation Inequality for Positive Numbers?

• Thread starter St41n
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of Minkowski's Inequality to prove the inequality (\sum x_i )^a \leq \sum x_i^a where x_i \geq 0 \forall i and 0<a<1. The speaker also mentions trying to prove this without Minkowski's Inequality and asks for any help. The responder suggests looking at a specific function to prove the inequality.
St41n
I don't understand how it is possible to show using the Minkowski's Inequality that
[itex] (\sum x_i )^a \leq \sum x_i^a[/itex] where [itex] x_i \geq 0 \forall i [/itex] and [itex] 0<a<1 [/itex].

I also tried to prove this without using Minkowski, but to no avail.

This is driving me crazy although it seems to be trivial in the literature.
I will appreciate any help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi St41n! :smile:

It seems that you must prove that [itex](x+y)^\alpha\leq x^\alpha+y^\alpha[/itex] for [itex]x,y\geq 0[/itex] and [itex]0<\alpha<1[/itex].

For that, you must look at the function

[tex]f:\mathbb{R}^+\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow 1+x^\alpha-(1+x)^\alpha[/tex]

Try to show that f is increasing and has its minimum in 0. It follows that [itex]f(x)\geq 0[/itex].

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

1. What is Minkowski's Inequality?

Minkowski's Inequality is a mathematical concept that relates to the absolute values of sums and differences of real numbers. It states that the absolute value of the sum of two numbers is less than or equal to the sum of the absolute values of the numbers. In other words, it establishes a relationship between the absolute values of two real numbers and their sum.

2. Who discovered Minkowski's Inequality?

Minkowski's Inequality was discovered by the German mathematician Hermann Minkowski in the late 19th century. He is also known for his contributions to the fields of geometry and number theory.

3. What is the importance of Minkowski's Inequality in mathematics?

Minkowski's Inequality is an important tool in mathematical analysis, particularly in the study of real and complex numbers. It is used to prove many theorems and to establish relationships between different mathematical concepts. It also has applications in other fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. Can Minkowski's Inequality be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Minkowski's Inequality can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, there are several versions of the inequality that apply to different mathematical spaces, such as vector spaces, normed spaces, and Banach spaces. These versions are important in various areas of mathematics and have their own applications and implications.

5. How is Minkowski's Inequality related to the triangle inequality?

Minkowski's Inequality is closely related to the triangle inequality, which states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle is greater than or equal to the length of the third side. In fact, the triangle inequality can be derived from Minkowski's Inequality by setting one of the numbers to be negative. This relationship is useful in proving geometric theorems and inequalities.