Choosing a Minor in Physics: Mathematics or Chemistry? Get Expert Advice

In summary: Mathematics and chemistry are his interests, but he's worried that mathematics might be too difficult. He's also worried that he won't be able to do physics if he doesn't improve his algebra skills. G01 and simplicity123 offer advice. G01 recommends that Alex study mathematics, and simplicity123 recommends that Alex study algebra.
A_B
Hi there,

I've completed my first year studying physics an now I have to choose a minor. I'm down to choosing between mathematics and chemistry, and I hope to get some advice from you guys.

The reason I'd study chemistry is because it's interesting, it blends quite well with physics (or so it seems to me) especially in the use of thermodynamics, which I find a very interesting subject. A minor in chemistry also seems easier then one in mathematics.

The reasons for choosing mathematics are also my interests, though perhaps not to the same extent as (some of the courses offered in) chemistry. Other than that it feels important to know analysis, to know what calculus really is. Also I know algebra is very important in modern physics. Studying mathematics will make me more comfortable with mathematics (duh) which should help me with physics in general. (You know, physics is always more fun when the mathematics doesn't consume all you attention and work.)

My grades for Calculus, and intro course to proofs (Combinatorics, little number theory, real numbers etc.) and linear algebra are (very) good, but for algebraic structures I had the absolute minimum passing grade, so algebra would be a little scary perhaps.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you should keep in mind is that most physics majors have to take so many math courses that they're only a few courses away from a minor just by there nature, so the math minor might only require one or two more courses beyond what is already required by your physics major.

That said, a chemistry minor couldn't hurt and could potentially be helpful if you plan on going into research in condensed matter experiment or biological physics.

A_B said:
My grades for Calculus, and intro course to proofs (Combinatorics, little number theory, real numbers etc.) and linear algebra are (very) good, but for algebraic structures I had the absolute minimum passing grade, so algebra would be a little scary perhaps.

Your proofs are probably lacking. Try to read a book called How to prove it by Daniel Velleman.

Just take Maths. You going to find it very hard to do atomic physics, QM and mostly all of physics if you don't improve algebra. Just in atomic physics you need heavy group theory to understand the particle zoo.

Also, if your linear algebra is good then in away you probably just suck at proofs and that is easily fixed.

Thank you, simplicity123 and G01, that was very helpful.
I've started working through "How to prove it", and it is indeed illuminating to say the least. Upon seeing the subject matter of the first chapter I thought "pfffft, seriously, truth tables? I know all about that!" Well... obviously I didn't. I'm looking forward to reading the later chapters, thank a lot for that suggestion!.

Alex

for reaching out for advice on your minor choice! I can understand your dilemma between choosing a minor in mathematics or chemistry. Both subjects have their own unique and important applications in the field of physics. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal interests and career goals.

If you are interested in pursuing a career in research or academia in the field of physics, having a strong background in mathematics is crucial. It will not only help you understand and apply the complex mathematical concepts in physics, but also make you stand out among other candidates in the job market. Additionally, as you mentioned, knowing analysis and calculus is essential in modern physics.

On the other hand, if you are more interested in the practical applications of physics, such as in industries or technology, a minor in chemistry may be a better fit. As you mentioned, thermodynamics and other concepts in chemistry have a strong connection to physics and can enhance your understanding of certain topics.

It's also worth considering taking courses in both mathematics and chemistry, even if you only choose one as your minor. This will give you a well-rounded education and a broader understanding of how different subjects intersect with physics.

In terms of difficulty, both mathematics and chemistry can be challenging in their own ways. It's important to choose the subject that you feel more comfortable with and are willing to put in the effort to excel in.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a minor that aligns with your interests and career goals. Both mathematics and chemistry have valuable applications in the field of physics, so whichever you choose, it will undoubtedly benefit your overall education and future career in science. Best of luck with your decision!

What is the difference between a minor in Physics: Mathematics and a minor in Physics: Chemistry?

A minor in Physics: Mathematics focuses on the mathematical principles and equations used in physics, while a minor in Physics: Chemistry focuses on the chemical principles and reactions involved in physics.

Which minor is more beneficial for a career in scientific research?

Both minors can be beneficial for a career in scientific research, as they provide a strong foundation in critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, a minor in Physics: Chemistry may be more beneficial for research in fields such as material science or chemical physics.

Can I minor in both Physics: Mathematics and Physics: Chemistry?

It is possible to minor in both Physics: Mathematics and Physics: Chemistry, although it may require a heavier course load and may not be feasible for all students. It is important to talk to your academic advisor to determine if this is a viable option for you.

Which minor is more challenging?

This is subjective and may vary depending on individual strengths and interests. Some students may find the mathematical concepts in a minor in Physics: Mathematics more challenging, while others may struggle with the chemical principles in a minor in Physics: Chemistry.

How can I decide between a minor in Physics: Mathematics or Physics: Chemistry?

The best way to decide is to consider your interests and career goals. If you are interested in pursuing a career in a field that involves material science or chemical physics, a minor in Physics: Chemistry may be a better fit. If you enjoy solving complex mathematical problems and are interested in pursuing a career in research or academia, a minor in Physics: Mathematics may be a better choice.