Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minor forum changes

1. Nov 18, 2005 #1
    Minor "forum" changes

1. The Engineering forum in Homework Help has been renamed to "Engineering, Computer Science, and Technology".

2. The Brain Teasers forum is now a sub forum of general discussion

3. The Feedback Forum is now part of the PF Lounge

4. Consequently the PF Community category has been removed

The staff and I are continually working on creating a more solid, accessible, usable and friendly forum experience. There might be a few more changes in the mix, I'll update in here as the changes go through.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I notice that some HW-questions get posted in the Tutorials category. I'm not sure if this has been a big problem. To alleviate this, it might be helpful if "Math & Science Tutorials" is renamed to "Math & Science Reading Room" or something.

[opinion]
    In my opinion, "Special & General Relativity" should go in the Physics category [as Quantum Physics is]. Historically, one might have associated "[outer] space" with relativistic physics. However, today we [should] realize that relativity is more about "Physics" than about "Astronomy and Cosmology". [Indeed, Quantum Physics isn't just about "Atoms and Elementary Particles".] In light of all the World Year of Physics efforts, isn't it time that Relativity be accepted as Physics that is becoming more a part of our everyday lives?
    [/opinion]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  4. Nov 18, 2005 #3
    I'll investigate this

The staff is actually in talks about a possible physics/astronomy restructure.

5. Nov 18, 2005 #4
    Cool, I like it!

6. Nov 18, 2005 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hear, Hear!

7. Nov 18, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you been peeking through the curtains to the mentor's forum? Those types of changes are currently under discussion.

8. Nov 18, 2005 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Um.... the wind blew the curtains open for a second.:tongue:

I actually brought up this point last month in the PF Review thread,
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=772851&postcount=4

9. Nov 18, 2005 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Uh oh. They're letting the riff-raff in...:tongue2:

10. Nov 19, 2005 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Not too many though. The mentors usually move them. But perhaps a parethical statement, e.g. (No HW Posts Please) or (Not for HW), would be appropriate.

In the Tutorials Section - perhaps an Engineering Tutorial Section Could be included. I included a Strength of Materials Tutorial in "Math & Science Tutorials" because it did not seem appropriate in either of the physics sections.

"Atoms, Molecules, & Solids " could be "Atomic, Molecular and Condensed Matter Physics"?
    For reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensed-Matter_Physics

"Nuclei & Particles" - "Sub-atomic physics"? But Nuclear and Particle Physics would seem OK.

Good reference on Physics and major areas - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics

Perhaps "Special Relativity" goes under Physics and "General Relativity" stays under Astrophysics - Astronomy & Cosmology. I am thinking in terms of size.

11. Nov 20, 2005 #10
    Another change: The software and hardware forum in the general technology category have been combined into a new forum called "computers", it also contains a sub forum called "programming".

12. Nov 20, 2005 #11

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice one!! :smile: I always felt the category hardware was a misnomer.
    As many here know, hardware covers a very broad category of items (across several engineering disciplines), yet the majority of posts on hardware were computer related. :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?