Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minor Forum Reoganization

1. Jan 30, 2006 #1
    GR&SR is moved to the Physics category

"Atoms, Molecules, & Solids" becomes "Atomic, Solid State, & Computational Physics"

"Nuclei & Particles" becomes "High Energy, Nuclear, & Particle Physics"

"Strings, Branes, & LQG" becomes "Beyond the Standard Model"

All threads in "Stellar Astrophysics" and "Celestial Mechanics" moved into "Astrophysics"

Steller Astrophysics and Celestial Mechanics forums dropped and replaced with Astrophysics forum and Cosmology forum

New forum breakdown:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2006 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's better. I think the line between astronomy and astrophysics is extremely fuzzy, but the important thing is that the SR&GR forums were moved. Only a fraction of the questions in that forum were astronomy-related and its gurus were mainly theoretical physicists, not astronomers or astrophysicists.

It is true, however, that astrophysicists are particularly knowledgable about the cosmological applications of GR, so there will be some ambiguity in the forum assignment of those posts. I'll try to keep an eye on both forums, as will pervect and company, I'm sure.

4. Jan 30, 2006 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What's the intended difference between "General Physics" and "Classical Physics?" Those forums aren't part of the re-org, but I've always been curious about this.

5. Jan 30, 2006 #4

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

.... have always wondered what is the purpose & scope of "general" physics overall? Misc simpler stuff, overall discussion about physics,...?

6. Jan 30, 2006 #5
    Used for misc non technical banter.

7. Jan 30, 2006 #6

jtbell

Perhaps the "miscellaneous" nature of the General Physics forum would be more apparent if it were listed at the end of that section, rather than at the beginning? Then people would tend to scan down past the other forums first.

Also, to me "General Physics" brings to mind an introductory college/university physics course, i.e. mainly classical physics.

8. Jan 31, 2006 #7
    Much better! Great work!

9. Jan 31, 2006 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

At this stage, I'd be happy if the newbies could just not post homework-type questions in those two. I'm not terribly concerned if they can distinguish between "general physics" and "classical physics".

Zz.

10. Jan 31, 2006 #9

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm just old. Palomar use to be a jewel. It's still all just Astronomy to me.:smile:

11. Feb 2, 2006 #10

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I agree that SR and classical physics belong together. GR is probably a better fit in the AC forum, since it has few applications outside that realm. On the other hand, explaining the difference might be a bigger headache than lumping them together.

12. Feb 2, 2006 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While I agree that many of the applications of GR are in astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology, I disagree very strongly with placing GR in the Astronomy and Cosmology section.

GR is a fundamental part of physics as a whole, and, as such, GR belongs right where it has been placed - in the Physics section.

My 2 cents. :smile:

Regards,
    George

13. Feb 2, 2006 #12

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For now, the distinction - such as it is - is that Astrophysics threads should contain at least a modicum of the application of physics, to the understanding of the objects themselves (the Sun, planetary orbits, stars, the ISM, galaxies, etc).

General Astronomy is more for the techniques (including those used by amateur astronomers), as well as planetary studies (maybe we'll have another re-alignment, what do readers think?), and general questions that aren't easily classified otherwise.

What should we do with the stickies (at the top of the General Astronomy section)?

14. Feb 3, 2006 #13

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I think it's OK to leave them as is, or delete them and start fresh. They don't get enough traffic to merit the labor necessary to sort them out, IMO.

15. Feb 3, 2006 #14

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems like the volume of posts that fit this description is very small and most of the things now in "General Astronomy" are a better fit to your first category. I'm not opposed to the current organization -- it will probably end up as a rough division between "advanced" and "intro" astronomy concepts -- but I think most of the posts in those two forums could be described as either astronomy or astrophysics.

For me, it doesn't matter all that much how it's organized. If this organization makes it easier for the moderators, then it's all good.

16. Feb 3, 2006 #15

Astronuc

OK - good reorganization.

However, where would a thread on Plasma Physics go?

I would like to start one with Resources on Plamsa Physics, which could include applications to astronomical/cosmological objects as well as fusion/magnetoplasmadynamic systems.

e.g. - http://www.plasmaphysics.org.uk/

http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/PlasmaI.html

http://www.ipp.mpg.de/~Wolfgang.Suttrop/ppcfsites.html

http://wwwppd.nrl.navy.mil/

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research/plasma/

Some of these might go under Nuclear Energy however.

17. Feb 4, 2006 #16

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good question. A priori, plasma physics is classical physics (electrodynamics, thermodynamics, transport equations,... all that). Of course, plasma physics has different applications (astrophysics, nuclear physics...).
    I would suggest that if the main topic is the physics of plasmas, that this belongs in classical physics. If you want to concentrate on a specific application, and you just use plasma physics for it, then pick the forum for the application. If you really don't know and you want to talk about everything at once :smile: , go to general physics.

18. Feb 4, 2006 #17

Astronuc

I was thinking Classical Physics would be appropriate for Plasma Physics topics, but I prefer other opinions.

I was also thinking last night about the fact that stellar (star) plasmas are much denser than those in interstellar space and on earth, so Astrophysics would be appropriate for stellar and interstellar plasmas, while Classical Physics would be approriate for the rarefied plasmas we deal with on earth.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  19. Feb 4, 2006 #18

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While I like the idea of putting it in astrophysics (no prizes for guessing why), for the same reasons that Relativity (especially General) belongs with 'Physics' and not 'Astro{insert your favourite ending here}', plasma physics lives with Physics. I'm with vanesch - it's primarily Classical.

By all means, point interested folk to Astrophysics and High Energy, Nuclear, and Particle Physics (I note that the first link in Astronuc's post has a strong astrophysics bent.)

If you'd like to start some threads, in Astrophysics, on the application of plasma physics to this field Astronuc, that would be a most welcome and much appreciated contribution.

20. Feb 4, 2006 #19

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Wouldn't this suggest a general rule? If the topic is physics qua physics, then it should go in the appropriate physics forum. But if it's physics qua application to something else, then it should go in the something else forum.

A thought for future upgrades would be to have easier crosslinks between threads in different fora. Isn't that that the world wide web was invented for?

21. Feb 4, 2006 #20

Astronuc

Thanks. I will discuss this with Space Tiger.

The reason I asked was that another PF member asked me about Astrophysics/Physics and Space Exploration, and I was trying to think of
    areas of overlap, and the two things that came to mind were orbital mechanics and space craft propuslion, particularly EM and MPD systems. I found that first link while searching "Plasma Physics", and I was looking for a place to post it. I checked all the subforums and didn't see one that looked right, although I thought Classical Physics seem the best based on "Electrodynamics, & Thermodynamics".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?