1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minor in EE

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    Hi,

What does anyone think about a Software Engineering Major with a minor in EE or a minor in financial mathematics / finance. I am currently a MechE major but don't like it. I could go full out EE/CompE, but I'm scared of the unknown and time is running out for uncertainty.

Ultimately, I would like to get a Ms in Computational finance or an MBA. Engineering is nice, but I hear that in the real world, you do very little after a certain point and it turns into management (not good if you only have engineering skills). Best to keep it as a hobby or risk recking the interest (Like MechE).

Also there are few engieering opportunities where I'm from, but family want me to do something like engineering as a background for school, I agree. It's a challenge and it "opens doors". Plus its a ton of fun.

Safe majors are EE,CompE,MechE. I don't know about SE...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2
    Ok, Is there anyone who is start to dislike EE or CS?

If so could you please tell me why?

4. Apr 13, 2008 #3
    What do you actually like about EE? You have expressed dislike for ME, but you haven't really mentioned why you think EE is a fit for you.

5. Apr 14, 2008 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A minor in electrical engineering will do essentially nothing for you in industry. It might make some people take a longer look at your resume, but it won't actually prepare you to do anything meaningful.

- Warren

6. Apr 14, 2008 #5
    Embedded systems? I say this because at my uni, a B.S.E is basically the software engineering from the science/cs facualty + a minor in EE from ECE. I don't know why it is that way. They have "software engineering" Bsc and "software engineering" B.S.E

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?