Software Engineering Major: Pros & Cons

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's thoughts on switching from a Mechanical Engineering major to a Software Engineering major with a minor in either Electrical Engineering or financial mathematics/finance. They express interest in pursuing a Master's degree in Computational finance or an MBA. They also mention concerns about the lack of opportunities in engineering in their area and question the value of a minor in electrical engineering. Additionally, they inquire about others' experiences with electrical engineering and express a preference for embedded systems.
Lacero
Hi,

What does anyone think about a Software Engineering Major with a minor in EE or a minor in financial mathematics / finance. I am currently a MechE major but don't like it. I could go full out EE/CompE, but I'm scared of the unknown and time is running out for uncertainty.

Ultimately, I would like to get a Ms in Computational finance or an MBA. Engineering is nice, but I hear that in the real world, you do very little after a certain point and it turns into management (not good if you only have engineering skills). Best to keep it as a hobby or risk recking the interest (Like MechE).

Also there are few engieering opportunities where I'm from, but family want me to do something like engineering as a background for school, I agree. It's a challenge and it "opens doors". Plus its a ton of fun.

Safe majors are EE,CompE,MechE. I don't know about SE...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, Is there anyone who is start to dislike EE or CS?

If so could you please tell me why?

What do you actually like about EE? You have expressed dislike for ME, but you haven't really mentioned why you think EE is a fit for you.

A minor in electrical engineering will do essentially nothing for you in industry. It might make some people take a longer look at your resume, but it won't actually prepare you to do anything meaningful.

- Warren

Embedded systems? I say this because at my uni, a B.S.E is basically the software engineering from the science/cs facualty + a minor in EE from ECE. I don't know why it is that way. They have "software engineering" Bsc and "software engineering" B.S.E

What is a software engineering major?

A software engineering major is a field of study that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of software systems. It combines principles from computer science, mathematics, and engineering to create efficient and reliable software solutions.

What are the pros of majoring in software engineering?

Some potential benefits of majoring in software engineering include a high demand for skilled professionals, competitive salaries, and the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technology. Additionally, the problem-solving and critical thinking skills developed in this major can be applied to various industries and job roles.

What are the cons of majoring in software engineering?

Potential drawbacks of majoring in software engineering may include a heavy workload, long hours, and the need to constantly update skills and knowledge to keep up with evolving technology. It may also be a challenging major for those without a strong foundation in math and computer science.

Is a software engineering major right for me?

Whether or not a software engineering major is right for you depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. Consider your passion for technology, problem-solving abilities, and willingness to continuously learn and adapt. Researching the curriculum and job opportunities in the field can also help you make an informed decision.

What can I do with a software engineering major?

With a software engineering major, you can pursue various career paths including software developer, systems analyst, quality assurance engineer, and project manager. You may also have the opportunity to work in diverse industries such as healthcare, finance, and entertainment, or even start your own software company.