Minor in math major in Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining a minor in mathematics while majoring in mechanical engineering at the University of North Florida. The original poster is advised to contact the mechanical engineering department at the university for more information. There is also a brief mention of changing the offensive signature of the original poster.
RadiationX
does anyone know if it would be possible to get a minor in mathematics while majoring in mechanicl engineering?this quesion is especially for anyone attending the University of North florida in Jacksonville.thx

Physics news on Phys.org
come on! some input please!

I am not sure about your specific school, but I would say probably yes. Contact someone at the mechanical eng. dept. at the Uni. of N. Florida to make sure.

First, the quote under your signature is offensive. Please change it. Second, people are going to brush you off if you're not patient!

Optimus Prime,

Pull the stick out of your ass. How is that signature offensive?

OptimusPrime said:
First, the quote under your signature is offensive. Please change it. Second, people are going to brush you off if you're not patient!

http://lyrics.rare-lyrics.com/O/Ol'-Dirty-Bastard/Brooklyn-Zoo.html

to OP: yes, its possible. major in ME and talk to math dept advisor he will tell you which courses you need in addition to your main math courses to either double major or get a minor in math

Last edited by a moderator:
how in the world is my signature offensive? come on man tha't the late O.D.B. for goodnss sakes! But you know what? I'm going to change it, just to keep the haters off me.

1. What is the difference between a minor in math and a major in mechanical engineering?

A minor in math typically requires fewer courses and focuses more on the theoretical aspects of mathematics, while a major in mechanical engineering requires a larger number of courses and focuses on the practical application of mathematics in engineering. Additionally, a minor in math may provide a broader understanding of mathematical concepts, while a major in mechanical engineering may offer more specialized knowledge in the field.

2. Is it common for students to pursue a minor in math while majoring in mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is relatively common for students to pursue a minor in math while majoring in mechanical engineering. This combination of majors can provide a well-rounded education in both theoretical and practical aspects of mathematics and engineering, which can be beneficial for a career in fields such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and materials science.

3. How can a minor in math complement a major in mechanical engineering?

A minor in math can provide a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and theories, which can be applied to various aspects of mechanical engineering such as fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and structural analysis. It can also enhance problem-solving skills and analytical thinking, which are essential in the field of engineering.

4. Are there any specific courses that are recommended for a minor in math with a major in mechanical engineering?

This may vary depending on the university or college, but some common courses that may be recommended for a minor in math with a major in mechanical engineering include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. Some universities may also offer specific courses that bridge the gap between math and engineering, such as mathematical modeling and numerical analysis.

5. Can a minor in math and a major in mechanical engineering lead to different career opportunities?

Yes, a minor in math and a major in mechanical engineering can open up various career opportunities in both fields. Graduates with this combination of majors can pursue careers in areas such as research and development, manufacturing, design, and consulting. They may also have the option to continue their education and pursue graduate studies in either math or mechanical engineering.