1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minor loss due to expansion

1. May 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    from the previous thread , https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/minor-loss-in-pipe.869148/
    , i know that formula of loss due to contraction can also be expressed as k[( mean velocity )^ 2 ] / 2g
    how about the formula of minor loss due to expansion , can we expressed as k[( mean velocity )^ 2 ] / 2g ??
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2016 #2
    is it feasible ?

4. May 2, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What mean velocity did you have in mind ? ##V_1+ V_2\over 2\ \ ## ?

Or ##k_1 ## in combination with ##V_1## ?

The old thread is a 'special case' with one of the V = 0

5. May 2, 2016 #4
    Really, the old thread has one of the v =0 ? At which region?
    For the loss due to expansion, I mean (V1 +V2 ) /2

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
  6. May 2, 2016 #5
    in the old thread , how can one of the v = 0 ? it is [(Vc -V2)^2]/ 2g

7. May 2, 2016 #6
    What do you mean by combination of k and v1 ???

8. May 3, 2016 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

in the reservoir
    well, the link gives the expressions. You can try to wiggle ##\ \
    \left (V_1+ V_2\over 2\right )^2 \ \ ## into this but i doubt that succeeds...

9. May 3, 2016 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I meant the one in post #1

10. May 3, 2016 #9
    So , its not possible to change the to change the original formula of head loss due to expansion into
    k[( mean velocity )^ 2 ] / 2g??

11. May 3, 2016 #10
    it doesnt state v = 0 , it just stated mean velocity in 165

12. May 3, 2016 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah ! I was mistaken in post #3. In 165 there is no counterpart of the ##V_1## in 166 -- so I wanted to consider ##V_1## as zero in picture 165. But it plays no role in either case: the ##v## involved are ## V_c## and ##V_2## in both cases, so 165 and 166 say the same (as haru indicated and you Ok'd)

(we are now talking about pictures in another thread - never mind :smile:) .

In 166 you see a ## k_L = \left ( {\displaystyle A_2\over \displaystyle A_c} - 1\right )^2##.

In the current thread the idea is that there is no contraction at CD and that means ##V_1## plays the role of ##V_c## (and ##A_1## is ##A_c##).

##v_1## and ##v_2## are linked through continuity (##V_1 A_1 = V_2 A_2##) so -- analogous to 166 -- you get a ##k_L## for ##V_2## but you can also get a (different) ##k_L## for ##V_1##.

'Mean velocity in the pipe' may have caused confusion: what is meant is volume flow divided by area (i.e. the velocity averaged over the cross section -- so not lengthwise). In other words: there is no place for (V1 +V2 ) /2

13. May 3, 2016 #12
    ok , i understand that the velocity is average velocity across the area , but can still i say that the head loss due to contraction expansion is k[( mean velocity^2] / 2g ???

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  14. May 3, 2016 #13
    sorry , pls ignore my several posts before this . do you mean the mean velocity is not suitable and should be replaced by v1(mean velocity at region 1 ) or v2( mean velocity at region 2 ) to avoid confusion ?

Last edited: May 3, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted