Minor in Math for Physics: Pros and Cons

In summary: I would advise anyone to do the same! Doing a math minor in addition to a complete Physics program certainly can't hurt.At some places, you can get a Bachelor's doing a math minor at the expense of some physics courses. That is what I had in mind. Doing a math minor in addition to a complete Physics program certainly can't hurt.Taking more math classes seems like a good idea to me, especially if you plan on pursuing a physics degree. You'll be doing well if you have a lot of math courses under your belt already.
Kelvin
I wonder if minoring mathematics helps career/physics.
In my department, some math courses are offered to physics major to make sure that they can accquire enough math tools(since some are compulsory).
So, why do some people take math courses in math department or even minor math?

I have to declare minor in a few months later. I don't know whether I should spend more time in math or physics such as experiemtal skills. Would you please offer some suggestions?

p.s. I am a year 1 student and I want to get PhD after graduate if I can. But I have not yet decided going "theoretical stream" or "experimental stream"

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are planning to enter the field of theoretical physics, the moodois the more math the better! What a minute... I think in all of physics it really amounts to the more math skills you have the better!

I suspect those who minor in math to complete a physics degree are mostly those who wish to be high school teachers. In order to pursue graduate studies in physics, be it theoretical or experimental, a math minor isn't really a plus.

Gonzolo said:
I suspect those who minor in math to complete a physics degree are mostly those who wish to be high school teachers. In order to pursue graduate studies in physics, be it theoretical or experimental, a math minor isn't really a plus.

really?

hmm. at UF, a physics degree requires two or three fewer math courses than a math minor, so it makes sense just to do that bit of extra work.

besides, it doesn't seem like knowing more math could ever be a bad thing, unless you have to do so at the expense of learning the physics.

If you do not know an immense amount of math, you'll never make it through a graduate program in physics. Theoretical Physicists are very good mathematically, a minor in mathematics is not a bad thing for a physics major.

Thanks all of you! :rofl:

Brad Barker said:
really?

hmm. at UF, a physics degree requires two or three fewer math courses than a math minor, so it makes sense just to do that bit of extra work.

besides, it doesn't seem like knowing more math could ever be a bad thing, unless you have to do so at the expense of learning the physics.

At some places, you can get a Bachelor's doing a math minor at the expense of some physics courses. That is what I had in mind. Doing a math minor in addition to a complete Physics program certainly can't hurt.

I needed one extra math course to complete a math minor with a BS in Physics.

Here if you get your BS in Physics you will automatically get a Minor in Math. You do not get to choose your minor, you are required to take 4 or 5 junior math classes. Also, you only get I think one real elective class that you can choose to do whatever you want with. I would say the more math the better, but if I was majoring in physics I would probably take more physics electives if I had a choice. However, if you are forced to choose a major, just pick math. For your first 2 years, maybe 3, you will be taking the same classes, because of the general math that is required for physics.

People who get a math minor are those that want to be a teacher? :rofl:

I am an EE major with a declared minor in math and physics. This is the way *I* see it...

For my EE, I have had to take Calculus 1, 2, 3, and Differential Equations. Thats 18 hours of math right there. At UCF, to get a math minor, you have to have all of those I said above plus 6 more hours of junior/senior level courses. Thats 2 classes more! Why would you not take 2 more classes to get a minor? Its easy!

To top that off, there are two math classes highly recommended by the Engineering department... Applications of Complex Variables and Elementary Matricies / Linear Algebra.

I am taking Complex Variables right now and already see a huge impact it will have in my engineering studies. So, very good move on my part for taking it.

My point is, a minor is really easy to get for a Physics or Engineering student because you have already had 90% of the courses you will need for the minor. You might as well take the few extra classes and get the minor. Not only will it look good on your record, but the more math you take, the better you will be at physics or engineering.

Personally, I plan on taking more than just the two math classes just to strengthen the math I will learn in other courses in the future. Instead of learning the math I will need from Engineers... I will learn it right frrom the math department...

mattmns said:
Here if you get your BS in Physics you will automatically get a Minor in Math.

That would be nice!

I am in a physics class right now that is nothing but pure math. UCF calls it Intro to Theoretical Methods. The whole class is based on how to mathematically solve problems.

Due to its nature, I personally think you should get math credit for it...
:biggrin:

DaVinci said:
People who get a math minor are those that want to be a teacher? :rofl:

That is not what I said. Reread my two posts carefully. Congrates on your minor. If it helps you get what you want and do your work, that's all that counts.

People where I go who are getting a Physics Major tend to just get a Math major along with it as a dual major, it really can't hurt to know extra math in the field of physics. Doing this is probably aided by the fact that we are on the quarters system, and thus have more time to take these classes, however, to get a graduate degree or Ph.D in physics anyway, you are going to have to know all the math you need to get a math major and more, might as well start now.

~Lyuokdea

1. What is a minor in math for physics?

A minor in math for physics is a program of study where students take a set of courses in mathematics specifically geared towards supporting their understanding and application of physics concepts.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a minor in math for physics?

A minor in math for physics can provide a strong foundation in mathematical principles and analytical skills, which are essential for success in the field of physics. It can also make students more competitive in the job market and open up opportunities for advanced studies in physics.

3. Are there any drawbacks to pursuing a minor in math for physics?

One potential drawback is that it may require a heavier workload, as students will have to balance coursework for both math and physics. Additionally, some students may find the advanced math concepts challenging and may struggle to maintain a high GPA.

4. Can a minor in math for physics be beneficial for students pursuing other majors?

Yes, a minor in math for physics can be beneficial for students pursuing other majors, especially those in the fields of engineering, computer science, and economics. The analytical and problem-solving skills developed through this minor can be applied in a variety of fields.

5. What are some examples of courses included in a minor in math for physics?

Some common courses in a minor in math for physics include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and advanced mathematics courses such as abstract algebra and complex analysis. The specific courses may vary depending on the university and program.