Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minor vs honors?

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    I'm doing applied math w/ many EE courses. I can count them either toward an honors or minor. So my options are:

1) BS applied math w/ honors

2) BS applied math
    Minor EE

Which looks better if I might apply to EE grad school? Thanks all!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2010 #2
    An honors degree is required for many grad programs. I would go with that.

4. Jun 19, 2010 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Which ones? I find this hard to believe, as many universities don't even have honors programs.

5. Jun 19, 2010 #4
    Go with the minor for sure.

6. Jun 19, 2010 #5
    Just to clarify, where are you located (as in which country)? Cause there is a difference between honors in different places (some places honors involve an extra 'honors year', which is different then an honors degree in somewhere like the US, I think. In the first type it might actually be required for grad school, in the second type not so much)

7. Jun 20, 2010 #6
    I'm american. This is a purely administrative issue, only about how my degree looks. I was also leaning toward the minor bc it explicitly states my EE coursework. thanks.

8. Jun 20, 2010 #7
    Does honors involve a thesis? If so, take honors.

9. Jun 20, 2010 #8
    Waterloo required an honours degree for a masters in math. Many schools list the requirements as "an honours degree or equivalent", which may take care of the schools that don't have honours programs.

10. Jun 21, 2010 #9
    I am getting two minors, but I wish I had just gotten honors. There is way more work, however, and usually a GPA stipulation.

A minor is fun to get, but even majoring in something doesn't mean you know that much about the subject, so a minor in something means you know even less. Just depends I guess.

If it is an especially relevant minor to your major, then it is probably the better route than honors. If it is like physics and then a minor in philosophy... probably not a very worthwhile minor, unless you REALLY want to take classes you enjoy or something.

11. Jun 21, 2010 #10
    Go for the ones that provide the most difficult challenge you can barely manage. A honors program is probably the closest thing to this.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook