1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minor vs honors?

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    I'm doing applied math w/ many EE courses. I can count them either toward an honors or minor. So my options are:

1) BS applied math w/ honors

2) BS applied math
    Minor EE

Which looks better if I might apply to EE grad school? Thanks all!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2010 #2
    An honors degree is required for many grad programs. I would go with that.
  4. Jun 19, 2010 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Which ones? I find this hard to believe, as many universities don't even have honors programs.
  5. Jun 19, 2010 #4
    Go with the minor for sure.
  6. Jun 19, 2010 #5
    Just to clarify, where are you located (as in which country)? Cause there is a difference between honors in different places (some places honors involve an extra 'honors year', which is different then an honors degree in somewhere like the US, I think. In the first type it might actually be required for grad school, in the second type not so much)
  7. Jun 20, 2010 #6
    I'm american. This is a purely administrative issue, only about how my degree looks. I was also leaning toward the minor bc it explicitly states my EE coursework. thanks.
  8. Jun 20, 2010 #7
    Does honors involve a thesis? If so, take honors.
  9. Jun 20, 2010 #8
    Waterloo required an honours degree for a masters in math. Many schools list the requirements as "an honours degree or equivalent", which may take care of the schools that don't have honours programs.
  10. Jun 21, 2010 #9
    I am getting two minors, but I wish I had just gotten honors. There is way more work, however, and usually a GPA stipulation.

A minor is fun to get, but even majoring in something doesn't mean you know that much about the subject, so a minor in something means you know even less. Just depends I guess.

If it is an especially relevant minor to your major, then it is probably the better route than honors. If it is like physics and then a minor in philosophy... probably not a very worthwhile minor, unless you REALLY want to take classes you enjoy or something.
  11. Jun 21, 2010 #10
    Go for the ones that provide the most difficult challenge you can barely manage. A honors program is probably the closest thing to this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook