Applied Math Degree: Honors or Minor in EE?

In summary, the individual is deciding between a BS in applied math with an honors or minor in EE courses. They are wondering which option would look better for applying to EE grad school. The conversation reveals that honors degrees may be required for some grad programs, and that schools may have different requirements for what constitutes an honors degree. The individual is leaning towards the minor option as it explicitly shows their EE coursework, but others suggest going for honors if it involves a thesis. Some also argue that a minor may not hold as much weight as an honors degree. Ultimately, it is recommended to choose the option that provides the most challenging and relevant coursework.
1230wc
I'm doing applied math w/ many EE courses. I can count them either toward an honors or minor. So my options are:

1) BS applied math w/ honors

2) BS applied math
Minor EE

Which looks better if I might apply to EE grad school? Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
An honors degree is required for many grad programs. I would go with that.

VeeEight said:
An honors degree is required for many grad programs.

Which ones? I find this hard to believe, as many universities don't even have honors programs.

Go with the minor for sure.

Just to clarify, where are you located (as in which country)? Cause there is a difference between honors in different places (some places honors involve an extra 'honors year', which is different then an honors degree in somewhere like the US, I think. In the first type it might actually be required for grad school, in the second type not so much)

I'm american. This is a purely administrative issue, only about how my degree looks. I was also leaning toward the minor bc it explicitly states my EE coursework. thanks.

Does honors involve a thesis? If so, take honors.

Vanadium 50 said:
Which ones? I find this hard to believe, as many universities don't even have honors programs.

Waterloo required an honours degree for a masters in math. Many schools list the requirements as "an honours degree or equivalent", which may take care of the schools that don't have honours programs.

I am getting two minors, but I wish I had just gotten honors. There is way more work, however, and usually a GPA stipulation.

A minor is fun to get, but even majoring in something doesn't mean you know that much about the subject, so a minor in something means you know even less. Just depends I guess.

If it is an especially relevant minor to your major, then it is probably the better route than honors. If it is like physics and then a minor in philosophy... probably not a very worthwhile minor, unless you REALLY want to take classes you enjoy or something.

Go for the ones that provide the most difficult challenge you can barely manage. A honors program is probably the closest thing to this.

1. What are the career opportunities for someone with an Applied Math Degree and Honors or Minor in EE?

Having a degree in Applied Math with an Honors or Minor in EE provides a wide range of career opportunities. You can work in industries such as engineering, telecommunications, finance, data analysis, and research. With this combination, you have a strong foundation in both mathematics and electrical engineering, making you a valuable asset in various fields.

2. Is it beneficial to have an Honors or Minor in EE with an Applied Math Degree?

Yes, having an Honors or Minor in EE complements an Applied Math Degree. It gives you a well-rounded education in both fields, making you stand out in the job market. This combination allows you to have a deeper understanding and knowledge of mathematical concepts and how they relate to electrical engineering, giving you a competitive edge in the workforce.

3. How does an Honors or Minor in EE enhance an Applied Math Degree?

An Honors or Minor in EE enhances an Applied Math Degree by providing a practical application of mathematical concepts in various electrical engineering fields. It gives you hands-on experience and skills that are highly sought after by employers. This combination also allows you to explore different areas of mathematics and electrical engineering, making you a versatile and well-rounded professional.

4. Can I pursue an Honors or Minor in EE with an Applied Math Degree concurrently?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an Honors or Minor in EE concurrently with an Applied Math Degree. However, it may require careful planning and time management to balance the workload of both degrees. It is essential to consult with your academic advisor to create a feasible plan that meets the requirements for both degrees.

5. What skills will I gain from an Honors or Minor in EE with an Applied Math Degree?

By combining an Honors or Minor in EE with an Applied Math Degree, you will gain a wide range of skills. These include problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, programming, and technical skills in electrical engineering. You will also develop strong mathematical skills, such as calculus, statistics, and linear algebra, which are crucial in many industries. Additionally, you will gain teamwork, communication, and project management skills, which are essential in any career.