Minoring in physics, conflictions with other majors and minors

• Programs
  • Thread starter ambrosia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is an undergraduate chemistry major and hopes to pursue a PhD in chemical physics and enter the field of nanotechnology. They plan on minoring in physics to gain a better understanding of their field, but also have interests in philosophy and music composition. They question the necessity of a physics minor and whether it will be beneficial for grad school. The expert suggests that focusing on one or two majors is typically the norm for grad school applicants and that a minor in physics may not be necessary. They advise taking relevant physics courses instead of committing to a full minor. Ultimately, grad schools prioritize proficiency and excellence in the chosen field rather than the number of degrees obtained.
ambrosia
So here is my story. I'm an undergraduate chemistry major as of present. Ideally, I would like to get into grad school and get my PhD in chemical physics and then get into the nanotechnology field. Keep in mind that I'm already done with all my general education courses so I only need to focus on my majors and minors.

Nanotechnology, as you know, has a lot to do with not only chemistry, but physics as well. However, I don't want to double major in chemistry AND physics because I feel that the workload would be too heavy and leave no room for my other interests. Consequently, I would like to minor in physics so I can at least have some understanding of what's going on and be more prepared for my field.

However, my top priority in college is to LEARN, not just to get a degree. I'm very interested in philosophy and music composition/piano. I want to double major in chemistry and music composition, while minoring in philosophy and physics. However, I guess my real question is do I really need to minor in physics? Will it be vital to grad school and beyond? Or will I be able to learn all of that later? I just don't want to be completely overwhelmed with work if I don't have to be. What are your suggestions on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
My first instinct is to reply that people who get into grad school for science USUALLY have one major, maybe sometimes two but I'm questioning how you think you're going to find time for undergraduate research and really getting involved in your chosen field if you're so determined to be a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. I don't know what year you're in, but you will be competing for slots in grad school against people who have made chemistry and physics their lives, not just one major out of several. Just my two cents.
If you're determined to do this whole renaissance man approach to undergrad, you don't really NEED a minor in physics to learn about it. If your major field of interest is chemistry and that's what you want to go into graduate school for, just take courses in physics that would be relevant to your interests. The problem with minors is that sometimes they have a bunch of classes that are required for a minor that may not be relevant. So you'd be wasting a class or two taking a requirement instead of a more pertinent class. And if you're worried about the minor in relation to grad school applications, don't be. Trust me, they doesn't give two hoots if you have one degree or four, they're still looking for proficiency and excellence in their own area. Period.

thanks for putting things in perspective. I think I'll just major in chemistry and minor in philosophy then with a few physics classes thrown in.

1. Can I minor in physics while majoring in a completely different field?

Yes, it is possible to minor in physics while majoring in a different field. Many students choose to minor in physics to supplement their knowledge in a related field or to explore their interest in physics. However, it is important to carefully plan your course load to ensure that you can fulfill the requirements for both your major and minor.

2. Are there any conflicts between a physics minor and other majors or minors?

There may be some conflicts between a physics minor and other majors or minors, depending on the specific courses required for each. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to create a balanced course schedule and to ensure that you can fulfill all the requirements for your minor without causing conflicts with your major or other minors.

3. What are the benefits of minoring in physics?

Minoring in physics can provide you with a strong foundation in fundamental scientific principles, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It can also enhance your understanding of other fields, such as engineering, mathematics, and computer science. Additionally, a physics minor can make you a more competitive candidate for graduate school or certain job opportunities.

4. Is a physics minor worth it if I am not planning on pursuing a career in physics?

While a physics minor may not be necessary for a career in a different field, it can still be beneficial. The skills and knowledge gained from a physics minor can be applied to a wide range of industries and can make you more marketable to employers. Additionally, a physics minor can also open up opportunities for interdisciplinary research and collaboration.

5. Can I minor in physics even if I have no prior background in the subject?

Yes, it is possible to minor in physics even if you have no prior background in the subject. Many physics minor programs are designed to accommodate students from various backgrounds, and introductory courses are often available to help students build a solid foundation in the subject. However, it is important to be prepared for the rigorous coursework and to seek additional help or resources if needed.