What is the endianness of MIPS architecture?

In summary, MIPS endian architecture refers to the way data is stored and accessed in a MIPS processor and can affect performance in certain operations. There are two types of MIPS endian architecture: big endian and little endian. Little endian is more commonly used in modern computing systems, including MIPS-based systems, due to its compatibility with the x86 architecture. It is possible to change the endian format in MIPS architecture, but it requires recompiling the software and most MIPS processors have a configuration bit for selecting the desired endian format.
ramhanuman
I wrote all this and for some reason it logged me off and I lost my post. So rather than rewrite everything I'm just going to get straight to the point. I'm trying to learn mips and I know it's a little endian architecture. If i want to store 0xABCD9876 which is 10101011110011011001100001110110 in binary, will it look like this:

0110 0111 1000 1001 1101 1100 1011 1010

If not what will it look like? Thank you

Technology news on Phys.org

What is MIPS endian architecture?

MIPS endian architecture refers to the way data is stored and accessed in a MIPS processor. It determines the order in which bytes of a multi-byte data type are stored in computer memory.

What are the two types of MIPS endian architecture?

The two types of MIPS endian architecture are big endian and little endian. In big endian, the most significant byte is stored first, while in little endian, the least significant byte is stored first.

How does MIPS endian architecture affect performance?

MIPS endian architecture can affect performance in certain operations that require byte swapping, such as network communication. However, in most cases, the impact on performance is minimal and the choice between big and little endian is a matter of convention and personal preference.

Which type of MIPS endian architecture is more commonly used?

Little endian is more commonly used in modern computing systems, including MIPS-based systems. This is because it allows for easier data manipulation and is more compatible with the x86 architecture, which dominates the market.

Can the endian format be changed in MIPS architecture?

Yes, it is possible to change the endian format in MIPS architecture, although it requires recompiling the software. Most MIPS processors have a configuration bit that allows the user to select the desired endian format.