Mirror-Mirages: The Science Behind the Magic

In summary, when it gets hot, the air near the road heats up and acts as a mirror due to a change in the index of refraction. This is caused by a gradient temperature near the road, which produces a gradual change in the index of refraction as light approaches the road. This is known as Snell's Law, which states that a higher index of refraction bends light towards the normal. This results in the appearance of "mirages", where objects on the road appear to be reflected like in a puddle. For a more thorough explanation, see the Wikipedia articles on refraction and mirages.
GreatEscapist
Today it got kinda hot, and while I was in the car, I noticed those stupid mirror-mirages-things on the road, where it reflects everything.

I know that it does that because it is hot, but can someone explain the complicated version of why it looks like a mirror puddle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably because you're seeing a reflection of the blue sky. As you said the reason that you actually see the sky/horizon/whatever is that the air near the hot black road heats up and acts as a mirror. As air heats up the index of refraction changes. A gradient temperature near the road produces a gradual change in index of refraction as light approaches the road. This is what causes light to bend back up so that you see an image of the sky above.

As temperature increases the index of refraction increases as well. Snell's Law tells us:

[tex]n_1 \ \sin \theta_1
= n_2 \ \sin \theta_2[/tex]

so basically going to a higher index of refraction bends light towards the normal. In this case away from the road and up towards your eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refraction

For a more thorough explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage

Other than that I'm not sure what you might mean by "mirror puddle"

Last edited:
Lambduh said:
Other than that I'm not sure what you might mean by "mirror puddle"

Lol. :rolleyes: I'm not a great describer.

I see the cars in front of me, and the trees, and it looks like puddles. Like water. Except they reflect.

I understand it's because it is hot. But why does hot=acts like a mirror?

Woops, was in the process of editing my post above to make it more clear. Post again if you still have questions.

Oh. That makes sense.

I love it when there's formulas for things. It makes my mind so much more at ease. :biggrin:

Lambduh said:
As air heats up the index of refraction changes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refraction

For a more thorough explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage

Ok i get that hotter air is less dense , but when light goes from hot air to colder air we are dealing with the same atoms it is just that the photon will have less collisions , why would the angle of re-emission change for the photon just because it is having less or more collisions in the medium. As the photon gets absorbed and re-emitted , why would this cause refraction just because the atoms are close together and then far apart how does this change the angle that the photon gets re-emitted out of the atom .

1. What exactly is a mirror-mirage?

A mirror-mirage is an optical illusion that occurs when light is refracted due to changes in temperature in the air, creating a mirage that appears to be a reflection in a mirror. It is also known as a "Fata Morgana" mirage.

2. How do mirror-mirages form?

Mirror-mirages form when there are dramatic temperature differences in the layers of air near the ground, causing light to bend and create a distorted image in the distance. This is often seen in deserts or over bodies of water.

3. Can mirror-mirages be dangerous?

Mirror-mirages themselves are not dangerous, but they can be a hazard for drivers and pilots as they can cause visual distractions and illusions of objects that are not actually there. It is important to stay alert and aware of potential mirror-mirages while traveling in areas prone to them.

4. Are there different types of mirror-mirages?

Yes, there are two main types of mirror-mirages: inferior and superior. Inferior mirages occur when the image appears below the actual object, while superior mirages occur when the image appears above the actual object. Both types can be seen in different weather conditions and locations.

5. Can mirror-mirages be predicted?

Mirror-mirages are difficult to predict as they are caused by constantly changing temperature conditions in the atmosphere. However, weather forecasts and studying the weather patterns of a particular area can give an indication of when mirror-mirages may occur.