1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mirror and lens equations

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the mirror equation can be derived using the same principles that were used in deriving the equation for lenses.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\frac{1}{f}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{1}{d_{o}}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{d_{i}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    There really doesn't appear to be any work to put into this. It just seems logical.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A woman with a bow in the back of her hair is looking into a dresser mirror 1.0 meter away. She is holding a mirror 0.3 m behind her head so that she can see the bown in the dresser mirror. How far behind the dresser mirror is the image of the bow?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am assuming the answer is 1.0 m + 0.3 m= 1.3 m.

4. Feb 1, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

What principles did your textbook use in deriving the lens equation?
    Do you recall drawing some rays from object to image through the lens? I think there are 3 special rays that are easy to draw, and a bit of work with similar triangles gives you that formula.

She would see herself 1 m behind the mirror and the frame of the small mirror will be seen 1.3 m behind. But the image of the bow will be further yet.

5. Feb 1, 2009 #4
    I am looking, not seeing too much in the way of any good diagrams.

Ah, so 1.6 m.

6. Feb 1, 2009 #5
    Is it a plane mirror ,a concave mirror or a convex mirror?For curved mirrors use geometry as suggested by Delphi51- if it is a plane mirror f is infinite..1/f is zero and therefore
    1/do=-1/d1,in other words the object distance equals the image distance.The minus sign shows that for a real object the image is virtual.

7. Feb 1, 2009 #6
    It is a plane mirror.

8. Feb 1, 2009 #7

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?