What is the maximum reflection angle in the Chandra X-ray telescope optics?

In summary, the Chandra X-ray telescope can only see reflections that are of the same size. The largest reflection angle in the optics is 30 degrees.
ExoP

Homework Statement

Hi!

I'm having a problem with one assignment and I would really need som help. The question is:

The Chandra X-ray telescope is used for observations in the 0.1-10 keV range. Focal
length is 10 m, max mirror radius is 0.6 m. What is the largest reflection angle in the optics
(assuming that both reflections are of the same size)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started first to find the wavelength by using the E=hc/λ formula. I got 12,4082 nm. After that, I'm stuck. Should I use a formula for concave mirrors? If yes, which one? I think that you need to place something in front of it to be able to calculate the angle. Glad if anyone could help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The telescope does not have mirrors in the same way optical telescopes use them. Wikimedia has a diagram of this.
I think this is simple geometry - the length and the radius are given, you can probably assume that the length of the mirrors is small compared to 10m. For X-rays that are parallel to the telescope axis, which deflection angle do you need per mirror?

I have actually no idea. From now, I only have the wavelength which I calculated, the eV range, the focal length and mirror radius. I'm stuck.. :/

Did you draw a sketch?
Can you solve it with a single mirror?

The wavelength is not relevant here, this is really just geometry.

It's hard to see the two reflections there (are there two?), but the basic idea is good.

Do you have any idea of the geometry, how to solve this problem maybe? :)

It's not rocket science...

attachment.php?attachmentid=64668&stc=1&d=1386722843.png

Add angles to the sketch, find out which angles you know (and what you know about angles at mirrors), solve, done.

Attachments

• xray.png
    xray.png
    2 KB · Views: 511
Yes, I just don't remember that much about this since it was 4 years ago that I calculated anything similar to this. Thanks!

Last edited:

What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the angle at which a light ray hits a mirror is the same angle at which it bounces off the mirror.

What is the difference between the incident angle and the reflected angle?

The incident angle is the angle at which a light ray hits a mirror, while the reflected angle is the angle at which the light ray bounces off the mirror. These two angles are always equal according to the law of reflection.

How does the shape and size of a mirror affect the reflection angle?

The shape and size of a mirror do not affect the reflection angle. According to the law of reflection, the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection will always be equal, regardless of the mirror's shape or size.

What is the difference between a virtual image and a real image?

A virtual image is an image that appears to be behind the mirror, while a real image is an image that can be projected onto a screen. Virtual images are formed when the reflected rays do not actually converge, while real images are formed when the reflected rays do converge.

How can the reflection angle be calculated?

The reflection angle can be calculated by drawing a line perpendicular to the mirror surface at the point where the light ray hits the mirror. The angle of incidence is then measured between this perpendicular line and the incoming light ray, and the angle of reflection is measured between the perpendicular line and the outgoing light ray.