Solving Mirror Equation Questions: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter rhxoehwhfh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, the conversation discussed using the mirror equation and magnification equation to find the image location, height, and magnification of an object placed at the center of curvature of a concave mirror. The focal length and object distance are related in this situation, and for the second question, the properties of the image formed in a concave mirror with a focal length of 50 cm were calculated using the equations and given values. Step-by-step guidance was requested for solving these questions.
rhxoehwhfh
I still find these stuff hard, I have 2 question to ask about...

1. Use the mirror equation to find the image location and the height of an object placed at the centre of curvature of a concave mirror. Also find the magnification. Hint: What is the relation between the focal length and the object distance, d, for this situation?

2. Using the mirror equation and the magnification equation, find the four properties of the image formed in a concave mirror with a focal length of 50 cm, if the object is 1.5 m from the mirror and is 2.5 cm high.

Can anyone help me and show step by step how to solve these questions?,,, I really am having a difficulties... please..

Physics news on Phys.org
for second question, i tried and got this
. Mirror equation
1/f = 1/do + 1/di
1/50= 1/1.5 + 1/di
di= -1.546 cm do= 1.5cm
Magnification equation
hi/ho = - di/do
hi/2.5 = -1.546/ 1.5
hi =2.576 cm ho= 2.5cm
is this right?

for #1, the center of curvature is 2 x the focal length so you can say d = 2f.
Now plug that into the 1/f = 1/d + 1/di

For magnification, use the equation you provided.

1. What is the mirror equation?

The mirror equation is a mathematical formula that relates the distance of an object from a mirror, the distance of the image from the mirror, and the focal length of the mirror.

2. How do I solve a mirror equation problem?

To solve a mirror equation problem, you will need to follow a few steps. First, identify the known variables (distance of object, distance of image, and focal length). Then, plug these values into the mirror equation and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror?

A concave mirror curves inward and can produce both real and virtual images, while a convex mirror curves outward and only produces virtual images.

4. Can I use the mirror equation for curved mirrors?

Yes, the mirror equation can be used for both flat and curved mirrors. However, for curved mirrors, the focal length may vary at different points on the mirror's surface.

5. How does the distance of an object from the mirror affect the image distance?

The distance of an object from the mirror will directly affect the image distance. As the object moves closer to the mirror, the image distance will also decrease. And as the object moves further away from the mirror, the image distance will increase.