Mirror Physics Help: Walking Towards a Mirror at 7 m/s

In summary, the question asks for the speed at which you and your image approach each other while walking towards a mirror at 7 m/s. The solution is not provided, but it can be visualized by considering the distance between you and the mirror, and the distance between your image and the mirror. This can be used to determine the relative speed between you and your image.
peaceandlove

Homework Statement

If you are walking towards a mirror at 7 m/s, how fast are you and your image approaching each other? Answer in m/s.

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to solve this mathmatically but when I first looked at this question, I just automatically thought that the answer should be 7 m/s. Why or why not is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

Say you're 100m away from the mirror, in the image, how far away from the mirror (THROUGH) the mirror will your image be? use the mirror as a central point and then draw where you and your image are.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a logical and analytical mindset. In this case, we can use the principles of mirror physics to determine the correct answer.

When an object moves towards a mirror, its image also moves towards the mirror at the same speed. This is because the image is a reflection of the object, and therefore, any motion of the object will be mirrored by the image.

In this scenario, the object (person) is moving towards the mirror at a speed of 7 m/s. This means that the image is also moving towards the mirror at a speed of 7 m/s. Therefore, the correct answer is indeed 7 m/s.

To further support this answer, we can also use the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time. In this case, the distance between the object and its image is decreasing at a rate of 7 m/s, so the velocity of approach is also 7 m/s.

In conclusion, the correct answer is 7 m/s, as both the object and its image are approaching the mirror at the same speed. It is important to use scientific principles and equations to arrive at a logical and accurate answer.

1. What happens when you walk towards a mirror at 7 m/s?

When you walk towards a mirror at 7 m/s, the speed of the image of your reflection will also appear to be 7 m/s. This is due to the principle of the conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

2. Will the image of my reflection appear closer or further away as I walk towards the mirror at 7 m/s?

The image of your reflection will appear closer to the mirror as you walk towards it at 7 m/s. This is because the distance between you and the mirror is decreasing, causing the reflected light to travel a shorter distance and thus reaching your eyes faster. This creates the illusion of the image being closer to the mirror.

3. Why does the image in the mirror appear to move faster than I am walking?

This is an optical illusion known as the "mirror paradox." The image appears to move faster because the reflected light must travel a longer distance than your actual movement. This is due to the angle of reflection being equal to the angle of incidence, causing the reflected light to travel a longer path.

4. What happens if I walk towards a mirror at a different speed, such as 5 m/s or 10 m/s?

The speed of the image of your reflection will also appear to be the same as your walking speed, regardless of the actual speed you are walking at. However, the distance between you and the mirror will affect the apparent speed of the image, as explained in the previous questions.

5. Is there any difference in the physics of walking towards a mirror at 7 m/s compared to walking away from a mirror at the same speed?

No, the physics of walking towards or away from a mirror at 7 m/s remains the same. The speed of the image of your reflection will appear to be the same as your walking speed, and the distance between you and the mirror will affect the apparent speed of the image. The only difference is the direction of movement, which does not affect the mirror physics in any significant way.