Calculating Star Image Distance in a Concave Mirror | Radius of Curvature 1.70 m

• Thread starter rhxoehwhfh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, to determine the distance of the image of a star from the surface of a concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 1.70 m, set the distance of the object from the mirror to be at infinity and use the relationship that the focal length of a concave mirror is equal to half the radius of curvature. This can be visualized by considering the light from the star as a parallel beam of light that is brought to focus at the focal length of the mirror.
rhxoehwhfh
The light from a star reflects from a concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 1.70 m. Determine how far the image of the star is from the surface of the mirror.

I also don't know how to do this one either :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
-_-" Since the star is really really far away, set the distance of the object from the mirror to be at infinity. Then, draw the diagram. The last time I did these sort of diagrams is when I was 17, so I can't really help you much with the diagram...

so how exactly do I have to do this T.T...

Light from the star can be taken as a paralllel beam of light. When a parallel beam of light falls on a concave mirror or a convex lens they are brought to focus at the focal length. In the cas of concave mirror focal length = half the radius of curvature.

1. How do you calculate the star image distance in a concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 1.70 m?

To calculate the star image distance in a concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 1.70 m, you can use the formula:
Image Distance (di) = Radius of Curvature (R) - Object Distance (do)

2. What is the significance of the radius of curvature in calculating star image distance?

The radius of curvature is the distance between the center of curvature and the vertex of the mirror. It is an important factor in calculating star image distance as it determines the shape of the mirror and the amount of light that is reflected.

3. Can the star image distance be negative in a concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 1.70 m?

Yes, the star image distance can be negative in a concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 1.70 m. This indicates that the image is formed behind the mirror, which is known as a virtual image.

4. What are the units for the star image distance and radius of curvature in this calculation?

The star image distance and radius of curvature are typically measured in meters (m) in this calculation. However, other units such as centimeters (cm) or millimeters (mm) can also be used as long as they are consistent throughout the calculation.

5. How does the radius of curvature affect the size and location of the star image in a concave mirror?

The radius of curvature is directly proportional to the size of the star image in a concave mirror. A larger radius of curvature results in a larger image, while a smaller radius of curvature results in a smaller image. Additionally, the location of the star image is determined by the focal length, which is half of the radius of curvature. A longer focal length will result in a closer image, while a shorter focal length will result in a farther image.