1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mirror reflection problem

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The reflecting surfaces of two parallel mirrors are facing each other. They are placed 10cm apart. A light source is placed in middle of the two mirrors. Calculate the distance of the 3rd reflection from the original point source in both the mirrors.

Please tell me how to start!!!!!!!!!!:tongue2:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2007 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  4. Jan 23, 2007 #3
    Hey the angles dont go less than 18 degree!!!! :tongue2:

5. Jan 23, 2007 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Yes, but see if you can get the basic principle of where the images (reflections are formed). Look at the rays - how do one now where to draw them (in which direction should they be drawn) and where along the ray (what distance along it) to position the image.

6. Jan 24, 2007 #5
    The answer is 30cm!! Why did you take such long a route to explain. I had to consult the other forum :tongue2:

7. Jan 24, 2007 #6

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The simulation provided you with the opportunity to discover the fundamental principle of image formation for yourself instead of getting the answer from someone else. Working the brain strengthens it and give you more confidence in your own ability thereby reducing stress when it needs to solve future problems (exams). If you showed some attempt at working the problem I would have given you more guidance.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?